Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/03/motorcyclist-dies-helmet-protest_n_889427.html

ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Sad to hear but i do not even ride a bicycle without a helmet (usually) no way i would want to ride a motorbike of any type with no helmet! Even makes me cringe when i see people riding with open face helmet.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rode mine down the road once without a helmet...

I think I had just done an oil change, or something like that.
it felt (and sounded) SOOOO different!!!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I rode mine down the road once without a helmet...

I think I had just done an oil change, or something like that.
it felt (and sounded) SOOOO different!!!
Yeah i've ridden up and down a non-traffic road in my estate where i live and the bike sounds mad different.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
ohh ant exacly a good protest then!

i would never even dream of riding without a helmet even if the law said i could!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it would be quite nice to be able to move my bike across the road at Ace Cafe for example without needing to put my helmet on, or risking getting whatever fine there is for no helmet.

Speaking of which, what IS the punishment for riding without a helmet?
Other than a MASSIVE lecture from the officer who pulls you?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Fisher said:
Well, it would be quite nice to be able to move my bike across the road at Ace Cafe for example without needing to put my helmet on, or risking getting whatever fine there is for no helmet.

Speaking of which, what IS the punishment for riding without a helmet?
Other than a MASSIVE lecture from the officer who pulls you?
I might be wrong but think it is £1000 fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any points?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
umm i dunno dont suppose many people do it do they lol?
i get what u mean tho! i would like to just move round my bike at collge without havin to put a helmet on!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A
umm i dunno dont suppose many people do it do they lol?
i get what u mean tho! i would like to just move round my bike at collge without havin to put a helmet on!
College is private grounds isn't it?
Just like a multi story car park?
So surely that wouldn't require a helmet by law?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.