Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

Which one of these manufacturers would you go for? : Yamaha , Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda or Triumph?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that I want to move off the R125 to a 600cc motorbike. The trouble with me is that I like the looks of quite a lot of bikes. The ones I'm looking at are all super-sportsbikes:

Honda CBR600RR
Kawasaki Ninja
Suzuki GSX R600
Yamaha Thundercat 600R
Yamhaha YZF R6

Currently the one I'm most likely to get is the Suzuki GSX R600. But I was wondering what you guys thought about the other bikes. E.g. best value, fuel consumption, how long they last, how aggressive compared to others, and whatever else you guys can think of which makes a good 600cc motorbike :D.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
depands on your cash flow
what would insurance be for you on them

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
PERSONAL opinion.

I quite rather like the Thundercat!
It's a sport tourer!
More comfortable, and will probably get better fuel economy.
Generally a more practical bike...

The R6 would probably be my first choice supersport out of those as it's pretty damn quick, looks great!
Not too common (compared to the others) and shares the same heritage as the R125.

Although, this is all without actually looking at the prices, and even looking at the specs of the other bikes.

MANY people have the GSXR, so i am sure it must be a great bike.
Benji has the Ninja, and I would trust his jusgement of bikes!
Mikas has the Honda, and again, i would trust his judgement!

Personally, I can't say I am very partial to Suzuki though. I don't like the styling, and they just seem to common for me.
Killachipmunk swears by it though :p

Either way, you honestly cannot go far wrong with any of those!
All I would suggest, is going to a dealer and sitting on them all. See which one suits your size better.

If possible, take them all for test rides, and see what you prefer!

You looking for old bikes? New? Nearly new?
Because of all of those, the Thundercat is the only bike no longer in production.
Although, if you want a sport touer that IS in production, perhaps look at the Fazer from Yamaha.
That too has an R6 engine, and is supposed to be a cracking bike. It has underseat exhausts ;)

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
i wouldnt bother with the thundercat.. the honda cbr apparently a great little bike exceptional at handling... my bro in law has a k4 600 gsxr he loves it, its power banmd starts sooner than the r6, the r6 is literally a screamer, after 13k revs thats when it picks up at its best... Ninja don't know much about them Just no they are dear - ermm all this is the top of my head from little discussions around the forum if you use search function you should find more stuff..

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I hear Ninjas aren't very good. Honda CBR600RR is the nicest for a rider who is new to 600cc+ bikes as it is more forgiving than an R6 or a GSX-R600. GSX is definitely a common bike I see a lot of them as do I see Honda CBR/CBF. Yamaha R6 definitely looks the nicest by a long way, however I have found the prices of the R6 to be more expensive than that of the CBR or the GSX. Then after all that there is that beautiful thing called insurance. Oh and I just had a Thundercat pass me when I went out earlier today. Nice looking, probably more forgiving on the back and arms due to its cruiser-sports style. Thx for the advice guys :)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Fazer Fazer Fazer Fazer ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
From what I hear Ninjas aren't very good
I would completely disagree, and would like to know what isn't very good. Mine is stunning, build quality, performance and handling. The CBR is ok, it's a nice handler, and friendly, but the dash looks like it's stolen from a 1980's vhs recorder and their is no slipper clutch. The GSX-R they all look a bit the same, and only with the latest variant are they getting anywhere near to the top of the pile, still put on cheap fasteners so corrosion can be an issue. Triumph, nice bike, holding there price well, the 3 cylinder bike is far better than the earlier 4 cylinder ones. The R6 early on was superb, now they are very harsh on the road, the pick of the bunch there is the 06 model, first one with the USD forks, and still was nice to ride on the road. Remember a bike is more than a graph, how does it feel when you are on it, do you like how it looks. Unless you are a riding god the ultimate performance will be lost on most, therefore buy the one that suits your pocket and makes you smile.

The lump in the Fazer is a detuned R6 lump, it's still nice, but nowhere near as bonkers as an R6.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Benji said:
I would completely disagree, and would like to know what isn't very good. Mine is stunning, build quality, performance and handling. The CBR is ok, it's a nice handler, and friendly, but the dash looks like it's stolen from a 1980's vhs recorder and their is no slipper clutch. The GSX-R they all look a bit the same, and only with the latest variant are they getting anywhere near to the top of the pile, still put on cheap fasteners so corrosion can be an issue. Triumph, nice bike, holding there price well, the 3 cylinder bike is far better than the earlier 4 cylinder ones. The R6 early on was superb, now they are very harsh on the road, the pick of the bunch there is the 06 model, first one with the USD forks, and still was nice to ride on the road. Remember a bike is more than a graph, how does it feel when you are on it, do you like how it looks. Unless you are a riding god the ultimate performance will be lost on most, therefore buy the one that suits your pocket and makes you smile.

The lump in the Fazer is a detuned R6 lump, it's still nice, but nowhere near as bonkers as an R6.
Nice little read I was looking at R6 models from around mid 2000 so will check out a 2006. Not going to buy big for a while ( well I say that now) I love the line about the cbr dash lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
712 Posts
There are a lot of late registered 05's which are on 06 plate, but a true 06 has USD forks. Goes for a lot of bikes, know your models before you go and look you can't just go by number plate, mine is an 07 bike but on an 08 plate.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
There are a lot of late registered 05's which are on 06 plate, but a true 06 has USD forks. Goes for a lot of bikes, know your models before you go and look you can't just go by number plate, mine is an 07 bike but on an 08 plate.
Ah ok cool... i'd like to know if my bike is actually a 2011 or just a 61 plate 2010? is there a way for me to find out?

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
What you know about the K5 Gixxer 6 Benji?
Always lusted after one, they are absolutely spot on looks and sound for me. Seem to be fairly low too, for what they are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

To be honest the 2004-2006 (whenever it was) ZX-6R Ninja is nice looking and sounds nice :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i can get my hands on a new ZX-6R however for roughly £2.4K. going to keep an eye out for 2nd hands with under 5K mileage.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts