Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd get a review up of my Varadero, so here it is!

Originally I was going to get a R125 for around £2500 from my local dealer, but they had no used ones in stock and I was pressured into getting a bike quickly :( And the only used 125's they had instock was the Varadero or a scooter! Ended up paying £2600 over 30months and the insurance "free" as a "gift" from my dad (blackmail!)

Bit of information about it;
It's supposedly a sports/tourer, but I'd have it down as more of a tourer as it's not that fun to ride after a while! Speed is alright, manages 75, and once had 80 down the big A5 hill (that's at 12k revs though!).
Acceleration is "meh", although not much to compare it to, I timed it on my phone as doing 0-60 in 16ish.
Comfort is brilliant though as it's a more upright position, longest journey I've done is around 2hrs 40 without a break and still felt fine after I got off.
As for size it's massive, if I took the L plates off it'd definitely fool a few people into thinking it was a 600 (until I started it up, or they saw the actual engine! haha), for comparison, it's a few inches bigger than a CBR600.
Fuel economy is good at around 80mpg.

I'd only recommend it for people going for distance/touring, rather than fun/sport, as there isn't a lot in the way of mods and it isn't sporty at all :p

Off to work now, so I'll add more later.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Interestingly, it is a VTwin!
And it has underseat exhausts which is kind of.... interesting :)

It genuinely does look big!
And it looks kind of like it is going for the adventure look...

Looking at the gear ratios, gear 4 and 5 look VERY far apart, is that so?

It also has the same 130 rear tyre size as us which is nice.
(also has the same front tyre).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it just me or does that image not display? :p

Yeah, it's a V-Twin, but not underseat exhausts (mines the 06, not sure if they've changed it in the new model), at the mo I've got a cheapy (£48) Metzeler ME22 front tyre and a Michelin Pilot Sporty on the rear.

What do you mean by gear 4 and 5 very far apart? (I'm a newb when it comes to technical stuff haha xD)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts

That image?

As in, do gear 4 and 5 feel like a big jump?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I was going to get an XL 125, but after seing the price, I decided not too. (My dad wanted me to get one)

I have to say, I'm glad I didn't! I love my R125!

Having said that, sitting on the XL is like sitting in a Lazyboy, campared to the R125!

This is a lazyboy for thoes of you who don't know:

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts