Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All my name is Glenn and i live in the north east of the UK. when i was younger which was a long time ago, i did have FS1E,RD125 LC etc and then i passed my car test had a family and before you know it your over 50 and miss the thrill of your younger days. So on Christmas day you decide to tell your wife and grown up children who are now married that in 2022 i will pass my CBT and buy a bike to ride until you pass your theory test and full bike test and then move on to something bigger:)
then you buy a 2016 yzf -r125a and now i cant be bothered with doing the full test as this bike is great, it has opened all the old feelings when i was 17 on my lc, not so much the powerbands but the freedom and how the bike looks and feels,
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
604 Posts
yeah it's not a 2 stroke ;)

I found a similar thing though, bigger bikes are not without their own cost, both in terms of fuel, parts & running costs, as well as licensing/tax and physical/legal risk. All those costs/responsibilities are less on the R125 and even with the current fuel prices the cost of going somewhere "just because" is pretty much negligible plus you can pretty much max it out everywhere...and in a funny sort of way (imho) that amounts to real freedom.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
604 Posts
for a 2008 there's plenty of tuning options...

I might be wrong but I think shaving the head would likely mean you'd need some sort of control over the ignition to prevent detonation - have you got a way of doing that in mind?

Powertronic do a replacement ECU which will let you adjust ignition timing as well as fuel/injector pulse but you might need a dyno session to get the most out of it as there doesn't seem to be any sort of wideband/autotune option..

I was supposed to have a bike in to fit one of these but it's not materialised yet so can't comment on how good it is but it ought to allow increasing the rpm limit a bit too, and as someone with a 180 I don't think 180 is necessarily an easy option to actually increase top speed (fuelling + balance factor issues). I think stay 125 but add rpm is possibly an easier way to go faster with less hassle (well till it blows).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts