Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. Headlights Stopped Working | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

Headlights Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Technical / Mechanical Discussion' started by deedee97, Oct 8, 2020.

1. deedee97

deedee97 New Member

Hi lads.

Hit a pothole the other day about 30mpb. With this my headlights stopped working.

I've tried changed the fuse, next I'm going to look for breaks in the cables when I can strip the fairings off. My other suspicion is the bulbs. However someone else has said to me it's possibly the left hand side switches.

Just wondered if anyone else had any ideas?

Weird thing is my full beam light doesn't even kick in on the dash when the switch is flicked but the light defiently works as it comes on when ignition is switched on.

09 model by the way.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Also.. My side running lights still work

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
    NorthCust likes this.
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    ouch! :-\

so just out of curiosity were the lights (potentially affected bulbs, so I guess both) on at the time? I've not heard of this happening before but bulbs do normally have filaments and given a sufficient whack you could potentially take them out, and if it did one bulb then it might be reasonable to think it did both. I *think* that's more likely when hot but could be reaching there ;)

if it was me I'd probably get the multimeter out and check whether there's power getting as far as the bulbs, since that's pretty easy to get to and then you can rule them out or not...and then work back up the loom towards the switches if not. fortunately there's not a crazy number of wires and I've got a loom in a box here we can refer to if needed.
    deedee97 likes this.
  4. deedee97

deedee97 New Member

I believe I was flicking through my normal light to high beam at the time of impact. I was heading through a dark forest path lol.. Bad timing right?

I can get the multimeter out tommorow, more likely to be Saturday to be fair due to me replacing my fairings on Saturday anyhow. Just unsure of how I'd actually be testing the voltage on the connector blocks there. Funny thing is I'm actually training as an electrician but when it comes to bike electrics things are a bit different! Gotta love Japanese colour codes.

I believe one of the connectors go to the side lights then the other to the headlights if I can remember correctly? (not looking at bike atm so brains a bit foggy)

Also where does the switch loom actually go through to? I tried chasing it with the panels still on and couldn't really work out where it led to. However this was only a quick 5 minute inspection while I was on my lunch break lol

Cheers northcust, always the man with the answers and willing to give his time to help a fellow rider!

5. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    >> path lol.. Bad timing right?

lol ouch.

>> Also where does the switch loom actually go through to? I tried chasing it with the panels still on and couldn't really work out where it led to. However this was only a quick 5 minute inspection while I was on my lunch break lol

honestly I don't know as I haven't really dealt with that part of it much - but the bulbs have the little rubber cover on the back which is easy enough to get off and they only have 3 contacts so with the lights switched on there should be a common/ground and a low and high setting (or something like that). If nothing's getting any power at that point then it sounds like a loose connection or failure upstream. From there I guess next stop would be the switches on the left or whethever that plugs into.

It's dark out atm but will try and take some pics of the spare loom tomorrow and see if

>> Cheers northcust, always the man with the answers and willing to give his time to help a fellow rider!

cheers, hope it helps :)

*just fyi - northcust = she/her, not a dude
    deedee97 likes this.
  6. deedee97

deedee97 New Member

Awesome. Cheers for your help! I'm gonna get out there tommorow and start fiddling.

If you've got any pictures of the spare loom that you could help out with as in where I'm testing etc. That'd be awesome!

Sorry by the way I'm sure you've corrected me before I just have a brain like a sieve!

Been meaning to reply for a while now sorry it took a while been real busy today. Hope all is well!

NorthCust likes this.
  7. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    no worries :) I'll be about tinkering with bike stuff on sat and have a reminder set so will take pics then.
    deedee97 likes this.
  8. deedee97

deedee97 New Member

Sweet! Thank you so much.