Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I enjoy working around cars/bikes and I've built several bicycles over the past few years. I've worked around a garage for a few months too...I'd say I know what I'm doing and I've got a decent set of tools.

I'm just wondering if its a good idea to do my own servicing? The bike is a 2010 R125 (had 2 services since new, last one April 2011, both stamped by Yamaha).

The bike rides fine but I'm planning on a few little things:

• Oil & filter change
  • new air filter
  • Bloody good wash & clean.
  • Replacing anything such as rusty bolts etc...
  • new spark plug
I've had the bike for 3 days and it rides great. Everything seems perfect at the moment...Brakes are responsive, clutch is nice & easy...I just think the bike is due some TLC since the previous owner doesn't seem to have been pulling his weight.
So first of all - is this a good price?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silkolene...cycle_Parts&hash=item3a6f4a16b1#ht_506wt_1037
I'm going to be hanging about the how-to's/tips & tricks area to have a look around - but is there anything in particular I should know? Or anything I should avoid doing and let the professionals do it?
Cheers.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
So I enjoy working around cars/bikes and I've built several bicycles over the past few years. I've worked around a garage for a few months too...I'd say I know what I'm doing and I've got a decent set of tools.

I'm just wondering if its a good idea to do my own servicing? The bike is a 2010 R125 (had 2 services since new, last one April 2011, both stamped by Yamaha).

The bike rides fine but I'm planning on a few little things:

• Oil & filter change
  • new air filter
  • Bloody good wash & clean.
  • Replacing anything such as rusty bolts etc...
  • new spark plug
I've had the bike for 3 days and it rides great. Everything seems perfect at the moment...Brakes are responsive, clutch is nice & easy...I just think the bike is due some TLC since the previous owner doesn't seem to have been pulling his weight.

So first of all - is this a good price?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silkolene...cycle_Parts&hash=item3a6f4a16b1#ht_506wt_1037
I'm going to be hanging about the how-to's/tips & tricks area to have a look around - but is there anything in particular I should know? Or anything I should avoid doing and let the professionals do it?
Cheers.
If you can do it yourself then do it... if you plan to sell and need stamps in the book then take it to yamaha. i am only letting them service my bike till the warranty is up then i wil do it myself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike is still in warranty actually - I forgot about that.

That means services are free right?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn haha

Whats the deal then? Do you know when the 3rd service is due off the top of your head?

I'm going to check the manual in the mean time.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Lilday said:
Damn haha

Whats the deal then? Do you know when the 3rd service is due off the top of your head?

I'm going to check the manual in the mean time.
In the book servicing is done at 3500 intervals but I do mine at 3000. Just done my second service at just under 6000

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, the last service was @ 5,164.

I'll get the next one done @ 8,000 (I'm at 7,333 now)...In the mean time I'll just keep it nice and shiny :D Thanks.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Awesome, the last service was @ 5,164.

I'll get the next one done @ 8,000 (I'm at 7,333 now)...In the mean time I'll just keep it nice and shiny :D Thanks.
No worries man always here to help... also do not forget about oil change and check levels. oil change says every 1800 but cos it is a quick job and does not cost much i change my oil every 1000 miles as cannot hurt. also make sure you keep an eye on coolant level.

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Scott Murphy said:
No worries man always here to help... also do not forget about oil change and check levels. oil change says every 1800 but cos it is a quick job and does not cost much i change my oil every 1000 miles as cannot hurt. also make sure you keep an eye on coolant level.
Scott what do you do with old oil?-
I'm going to do an Oil change sat or Sunday as I checked mine today and didn't like the look of it :p

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Tom Bark said:
I'm going to do an Oil change sat or Sunday as I checked mine today and didn't like the look of it :p
The first few times I took to a local garage and as it was only a litre they dispose for me. At the moment I bought a new drainage can which is a ten litre can and so will take it to garage to dispose of when it's more filled up.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Pretty much all of us buy our oil from Opie Oils.
Great customer service, and they offer a price guarantee.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Hehe, did you notice when you were at mine the other day, I have several large empty drinks bottles all full of old oil :p

You SHOULD take it to the skip. But obiously, not something I want to carry in a backpack ><

Reactions: Killachipmunk

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Scott Murphy said:
Cameron's daily advert. Is a really good place to buy oil and great advice too.

Well I reckon ima do a cam, then once its full I will take it to my friends garage :p

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Fisher said:
Hehe, did you notice when you were at mine the other day, I have several large empty drinks bottles all full of old oil :p

You SHOULD take it to the skip. But obiously, not something I want to carry in a backpack ><
Tut tut to the skip young man! Should be disposed of properly unless you have an old oil skip :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Well I reckon ima do a cam, then once its full I will take it to my friends garage :p
I think I have about 10L of oil sitting outside my garage door :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Tut tut to the skip young man! Should be disposed of properly unless you have an old oil skip :p

The skip? As in the county skip? Or refuse centre or whatever it is properly called...
They take the oil and dispose it properly...

Along with garden waste, electronics, garden refuse, asbestos, and everything else :)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Fisher said:
The skip? As in the county skip? Or refuse centre or whatever it is properly called...
They take the oil and dispose it properly...

Along with garden waste, electronics, garden refuse, asbestos, and everything else :)
Aha very good to know that I have a big dump near my house will check if they take oil.

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Scott Murphy said:
Aha very good to know that I have a big dump near my house will check if they take oil.

Winchester has a 'recycling centre' so to
You and me a dump :p
Anyways apparently that could be a factor into my bike over heating, there not being enough oil....?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts