Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a set of new front brake pads (EBC HH type) from Wemoto, as mine are almost gone! (After only 6500 miles!)

So I was looking in tha manual and it says you have to take the whole calliper off.

It also says you should replace the spring set (but at almost £35, I thought I would rather risk it!).

Do you actually have to take the whole caliper off, or can you just slot the new pads in (like on the rear... also replaced at 6000 miles!!!)?

I'm sure it's not too hard to take the whole calliper off, it just sounds a little daunting is all!

So, is there an easier way? Also, what milage do you lot get out of brake pads?

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
That is a good question, I was wondering this as I only really just my front break.
Anyone know how often they should be done? Sometimes mine feels abit spongy but that's just when it's wet and cold :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Dont need to change springs. And yes you have to take the caliper off. just hold it in your had and change the pads. Remember the copper grease.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I didn't bother with the springs.

And yes, you will almost certainly need to take the calliper off. Not that difficult, it's only the (two?) bolts...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Front's i'm sure I did mine without removing the caliper, just pop out clip, slide out pin, and the pads slide out, push back pistons, slot new pads in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Befor you remove anything push the piston back makes it easier to remove. Take the caliper off but do not disconect the brake pipe, give it a good clean out with a small stiff as it getts full of brake dust and shite. Make sure that while the caliper is off you dont pull the lever or allow any one near it, you dont want to pop the piston out.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I know about the copper greese!

And Benji, thats what I was thinking of trying!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Why wouldn't you remove it?
It isn't particularly difficult to do...

Surely it makes it easier?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What? How is undoing three bolts easier that no bolts?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts