Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps Benji or someone else could clarify this for me.

I know there are several methods...
But on the new(er) bikes, what is the method for restriction?

From all I can see, upon googling the restriction for the Yamaha XJ6, is that it is purely JUST the throttle plate / stop.
Which is about £18 off eBay, or even Yamaha.

Does this mean there is no washer in intake, and there is no re-programming / swapping the ECU?

Does the restriction HAVE to be done by a dealer / mechanic who then sends off a form?
One site I saw said you don't, same deal with a friend of mine who rides a 600...
My local dealer says you DO. (although this is the same dealer that says the R125 has an o2 sensor).

Also, what checks are there for someone to actually check that the bike you are riding is restricted?
E.g. if you get pulled over? (just out of curiosity...)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(will update this post)

Okay, so what I know:

- Carbs have the washers. EFI has the throttle stop.
- Pretty sure you don't need a certificate.
- You don't need ANY paperwork, either to the police or insurance.
- In the case of an accident, it is up to the INSURANCE / Police to prove you did NOT have a restrictor.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
As far as I know, the possible forms of restriction are:
Flow Restriction (Intake bungs / exhaust washer)
ECU Restriction
Throttle Stops
Removed Power Valve (2 strokes)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
most newer bike like r6,gsxr600,zx6r are ECU restricted
older bikes are the washers

but iv done reaserch on a daytona and they just use a 30 throttle pin and u dont need to touch the ECU!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I've been down my local Suzuki and they said they only do ECU restrictors cos insurers prefer it and it's a 5 minute job

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Nope Cam, you're correct. There's no ECU work involved.
Like Gweglez says, insurers prefer the ECU restrictions, because with the throttle stop, you can remove it at will if you get bored with low power...
Got a friend that does just that, all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I must admit the thought DID go through my mind.

And with the ECU restriction, I must say I ALSO had thoughts about wiring a switch to the restrictor.
I believe it is a module that plugs in to the ECU on some bikes? Or at worst a whole new ECU?

Meaning, it WOULD be possible to have a restrictor that could be turned off at will, instantly. Say.... for tack use perhaps :)

Obviously, it would take several switches, or some very clever electronics... and possibly carrying TWO ECU units on board... but it would be possible...

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also.. I no longer believe a WORD that dealers say :)

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Oh it's possible.
But quite often it's a whole new ECU for ease of fitment, and they teeend to keep the original one.
Unless you're friendly with the dealer ;)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
where i went to they said they can't stop you from taking the original ECU cos it's part of the original price and therefore it's 'yours'

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Oooo, sounds like I need to get mine done by them instead!
Dealer here said they deducted price by keeping the ECU as a spare or something.
They probably didn't want to give it to someone who looks as young as me :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They just want to pull a fast one, sell the original, and make you come BACK to have it removed.
For which, they will charge you ANOTHER £300 or something stupid...

They should, if not HAVE to let you keep it...
As you are paying for the bike, which INCLUDES an ECU.
And most the time you are being given the restrictor free, or you are paying for it, meaning you are getting that as WELL.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For what its worth, it might not be a legal requirement to have a certificate of restriction but some insurers insist on proof which could also come in the form of a dyno printout.

The dealer saying it MUST be done by a dealer is a) trying to get more work, and b) correct in the case of the FI kits since they won't supply them to anyone other than a dealer, so the only way to get a FI kit fitted with certificate is to have the dealer do it.

Also, as far as I'm aware, the insurance companies don't care how the bike is restricted, they just ask "is it restricted" and in some (most) cases, "if so, prove it". Having an ECU as a restriction is probably easier to remove than a throttle stop or inlet washer. The ECU can be just unplugged whereas you need to get the tools out to remove the others.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that pretty much agrees with what I have been able to find out :)

My Dealer says they HAVE to do the paperwork AND send it off to the DVLA.
Lying so and so's ¬¬
They don't have a clue.

·
Registered
686 Posts
there are countless restrictor kits on eBay which come with blank certificates of fitting. that to me says that you need paperwork.

Reactions: inkaholic

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there are countless restrictor kits on eBay which come with blank certificates of fitting. that to me says that you need paperwork.
Some people just like to have the paperwork... Probably just for the sake of having it...

Reactions: Gweglez

·
Registered
712 Posts
You do require the paperwork, never been asked to produce it, but it's worth having just in case someone requires it. To be valid most will require a signature from a Nominated MOT tester.

Best value restrictor that I am aware of is the Kawasaki, £10 including paperwork, makes the fi international look vastly overpriced. Suzuki are tending to favour the ecu approach, don't know the full ins and outs of how theirs is done, whether it is a wiring change or a whole ecu, or a download.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Benji I've been told it's just an ECU switch :) which is free with all 600 & 650's if bought from new. tho it may also apply to their preowned models too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts