Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres plenty on how to do it etc but im unsure of what part i will need to replace, having a look round different sites there are oil seals but do i need to change the dust seal too? in the yamaha manual theres loads of stuff you should replace when doing it but i carnt find the parts to do it other than the oil seals, if thats all i need should be okay.

and yes my oil seals have gone :( anyone else had this yet or just me?

if anyone has a how to on our bikes would be great and what i need, if not ill just have to do it blind and make a guide for other people again haha

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
The censoring strikes again >< hahaha

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Mmmhm, if you need your forks doing I don't know what to suggest.
It's one of the most annoying things to do yourself, and not exactly easy either.
I dunno if it's feasible DIY really.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's fork leg out job, ideally you want a fork seal driver, you can bodge it without, but it's not advised. Air gap is important to get right when refilling with oil. Ideally drain them of oil, by leaving upturned over night.

If replacing seals, you want to be thinking about replacing the bushes as well, as well as checking springs for sag etc. Might be a good time to have a look at the hyperpro spring kit :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
It's fork leg out job, ideally you want a fork seal driver, you can bodge it without, but it's not advised. Air gap is important to get right when refilling with oil. Ideally drain them of oil, by leaving upturned over night.

If replacing seals, you want to be thinking about replacing the bushes as well, as well as checking springs for sag etc. Might be a good time to have a look at the hyperpro spring kit :)
danm ur good!:)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mmmhm, if you need your forks doing I don't know what to suggest.
It's one of the most annoying things to do yourself, and not exactly easy either.
I dunno if it's feasible DIY really.
aparently its rather easy with the right tools, hopefully going to make, if not buy, a seal driver to get the job done properally. i fitted the 180kit myself so im sure this wouldnt be too much harder, the vids iv seen show its easy when getting down to it :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

do you know what seal driver i should get/make? i know the chrome parts of the forks have a 33mm diameter, so should i get a 34mm seal driver? thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
do you know what seal driver i should get/make? i know the chrome parts of the forks have a 33mm diameter, so should i get a 34mm seal driver? thanks
Personally would go for an adjustable one, you are only going to use it very occasionally, and no doubt own more than one bike in your lifetime. It's of a reasonable quality, without the massive expensive of a fixed size one, as as set of them is getting on for silly money.

Somthing like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tusk-Moto...otive_Tools&hash=item439bbee9a2#ht_1227wt_907

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright then guys, iv just bought myself an ajustable one :p but ive also bought a chunk of aluminum a few days ago that i dont really need now haha :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
It happened that my forks are leaking too, 2011 bike.

But i dunno if i will finally decide to do it myself, i have no garage, and no space to do it, it will require a whole day off work and to be very careful not to damage anything accidentally.

It is easy to show on youtube video how to do it, but without basic knowledge about the forks design i feel a bit weird....feels like loosing virginity at the age of 12-13 years old where you know how to do it but do not understand literally almost nothing else ( in most cases )......

And in order to add something to the topic.... my friend gave me his Street Triple R 675 to try on the road, i risked a bit by riding it on our public roads ( night time ) but what the hell i do not regret it. The bike has roughly..106HP and is somewhere in the middle if it comes to the acceleration and all that stuff BUT....my mind was blown away and from yesterday i really feel pain to ride my YZF 125 ( although it is a really nice 125cc bike )..can't wait to get my big bike especially when i already have money saved to get anything i want....thinking about Kawa Z1000, S1000RR or R, or who knows, Super Duke 1199........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts