Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
would it sound any good do you think? or just like a little kid pretending its an r1 ? just want a decent sounding exhaust any suggestions ?
It's hard to say really, it won't sound anything like an R1, it'll sound like all the R125 exhausts you can buy really, don't know how the longer tailpipe will affect it, but nobody's ever recorded a clip I don't think, so it's unknown terretory!
However to get that R1 sound you'd need an R1 engine :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My profile picture is an R125.
My signature is a ZXR400 :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here goes my first message after the intro!

As I said before, I'm interesting in buying this bike in June/July for several reasons: transport (cheap transport), thrill (it's a bloody motorbike) and it's incredibly beautiful (at least for me). I also think safety is important, more than speed or acceleration.

So, I've watched some videos of the R125 and I noticed the sound isn't very pleasing - which I guess is expected in these kind of small engine 4 stroke bikes, but the looks are so good that I think it really needs a better sound to match! So, I "googled" it (and that's how I found this forum) and found Killashipmunk's post about an easy homemade solution to improve the sound of the bike, which is great! But there are 2 problems with that solution: the first one is that I think I would maybe lose the warranty, am I right? But that's not the worst.

The big problem is that modding/tunning is generally pretty much illegal here in Portugal. At least for cars, almost everything more than a +1" in rim size will be stopped by the police, probably fined and you'll have to change it before the next inspection. And, if the police doesn't get you, the inspection will. So, here's the question... do you think they would find this little mod illegal here? Portugueses, o que acham?

This problem also stands even if I'm willing to spend a little more... for example, I don't know how it's like in the UK, but here the Akrapovič exhaust system sold by Yamaha as an accessory for the R125 is clearly identified as "non-street legal" and "only for circuit use". Which is stupid in my opinion. Anyway, I don't want the bike to sound so loud, just a little bit louder and better :)

So, does someone know if there is an exhaust system that is street legal in any country? (even Portugal haha) Alguém sabe?

Question number 2:

This one is shorter :)

You said that the tail tidy was the first thing to change in the R125. You mean making it shorter? It actually seems too long. Can one do it on their own or only with mech. help? And once again, would that pass the portuguese inspections?

I'm glad you, random reader, didn't fall asleed while reading this! thanks :D

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I've done the exhaust modification that Killachipmunk listed, as have a few others here, and I very much doubt it will cause you any problems. All it does it make the bike sound a tiny bit deeper than usual, and is in no way illegal. (In the UK anyway)
As for warranty.. I'm not sure how seriously Yamaha takes small modifications like that, but I know on my moped, the smallest thing would void it.
The Akrapovic IS illegal and is listed as a race exhaust, simply because it doesn't have a catalytic converter and is a straight through pipe from the engine.
For a more tame sounding bike, I could suggest the Scorpion exhaust, not too loud with the baffle, and shouldn't grab too much unwanted attention.

I'm not sure how strict exactly the laws are in Portugal, but I would recommend the exhaust mod and see how you like the sound. Anything more might be considered illegal.

I didn't fit my own tail tidy, but I know some people here did, they will let you know how easy it is :)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I personally would be weary, if you say that they are so strict!

It is a shame MikasPT isn't here as he is from Portuagal and could of told you.
I will try and see if I can get hold of himfor you!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here goes my first message after the intro!

As I said before, I'm interesting in buying this bike in June/July for several reasons: transport (cheap transport), thrill (it's a bloody motorbike) and it's incredibly beautiful (at least for me). I also think safety is important, more than speed or acceleration.

So, I've watched some videos of the R125 and I noticed the sound isn't very pleasing - which I guess is expected in these kind of small engine 4 stroke bikes, but the looks are so good that I think it really needs a better sound to match! So, I "googled" it (and that's how I found this forum) and found Killashipmunk's post about an easy homemade solution to improve the sound of the bike, which is great! But there are 2 problems with that solution: the first one is that I think I would maybe lose the warranty, am I right? But that's not the worst.

The big problem is that modding/tunning is generally pretty much illegal here in Portugal. At least for cars, almost everything more than a +1" in rim size will be stopped by the police, probably fined and you'll have to change it before the next inspection. And, if the police doesn't get you, the inspection will. So, here's the question... do you think they would find this little mod illegal here? Portugueses, o que acham?

This problem also stands even if I'm willing to spend a little more... for example, I don't know how it's like in the UK, but here the Akrapovič exhaust system sold by Yamaha as an accessory for the R125 is clearly identified as "non-street legal" and "only for circuit use". Which is stupid in my opinion. Anyway, I don't want the bike to sound so loud, just a little bit louder and better :)

So, does someone know if there is an exhaust system that is street legal in any country? (even Portugal haha) Alguém sabe?

Question number 2:

This one is shorter :)

You said that the tail tidy was the first thing to change in the R125. You mean making it shorter? It actually seems too long. Can one do it on their own or only with mech. help? And once again, would that pass the portuguese inspections?

I'm glad you, random reader, didn't fall asleed while reading this! thanks :D

Hello, i will anwser in Portuguese, if others need i will translate later.

Ola João eu tive uma R125 amarela de 2008 durante 2 anos e fiz alguns mods escape devil, xenon,bacalhau retirado e modificado kit completo malossi que ficou com 182cc centralina etc.
em Portugal não existe por agora e se calhar nem vai existir as inspeçoes as motas.
mas vamos por pontos.
1º colocares escape sem ser o original vais perder a garantia da mota a não ser que seja efectuado por um agente Yamaha, tens varias marcas que apenas com um acessório o barulho fica dentro dos limites da lei DB Killer é o nome da peça que é introduzida dentro do bocal do escape, ser NOT Street Legal e porque ficas sem catalizador e os DB ficam acima dos 86.
qualquer agente yamaha trabalha com varias marcas de escapes LeoVince, Akrapovic,Devil,Yosi etc ve junto ao teu agente yamaha qual eles tem e pede para vir logo com o DB Killer que
qualquer uma destas marcas o som e totalmente diferente eu por exemplo na R125 com o escape devil ate parecia uma harley mas lembra-te barulho como uma mota grande e impossivel so tens 1 cilindro.
sobre a traseira da mota isto foi o que eu fiz na minha:

Qualquer duvida diz
Abraço de Lisboa

Reactions: João Pinho

·
Registered
15 Posts
MikasPT, obrigado!

Começando pelo início, desconhecia e fico mais aliviado por não existirem inspecções :)

Basicamente, apenas pode haver motivo para que me mandem parar e me obriguem a ir ao centro de inspecção se a mota fizer um barulho ridiculamente alto, certo? Acima dos limites legais...

Em segundo lugar... não quero que sintas remorsos, mas a tua mota era LINDA. Adoro as cores... aliás, apesar de viver no Porto e também ser um pouco portista, sou sócio do Beira-Mar porque tenho metade da minha família em Aveiro e é uma cidade que adoro, calma e boa para andar de bicicleta e de mota, está tudo relacionado eheheh espectáculo de mota, mesmo.

Aquilo que fizeste no suporte da matrícula... foste tu que fizeste? Aquilo é em plástico, certo? Fizeste tu mesmo os cortes, furos e dobragens?

Parabéns pelo excelente trabalho e um abraço cá do Nuorte! :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
MikasPT, obrigado!

Começando pelo início, desconhecia e fico mais aliviado por não existirem inspecções :)

Basicamente, apenas pode haver motivo para que me mandem parar e me obriguem a ir ao centro de inspecção se a mota fizer um barulho ridiculamente alto, certo? Acima dos limites legais...

Em segundo lugar... não quero que sintas remorsos, mas a tua mota era LINDA. Adoro as cores... aliás, apesar de viver no Porto e também ser um pouco portista, sou sócio do Beira-Mar porque tenho metade da minha família em Aveiro e é uma cidade que adoro, calma e boa para andar de bicicleta e de mota, está tudo relacionado eheheh espectáculo de mota, mesmo.

Aquilo que fizeste no suporte da matrícula... foste tu que fizeste? Aquilo é em plástico, certo? Fizeste tu mesmo os cortes, furos e dobragens?

Parabéns pelo excelente trabalho e um abraço cá do Nuorte! :D
Obrigado, pelos elogios.
todo o suporte matricula foi feito em chapa de aluminio se quiseres fazer em chapa normal tens de arranjar chapa zincada senao apodrece tudo rapidamente.
tudo o que a mota teve foi feito por mim, foram muitas horas mas compensou.
nao tenho remorsos porque sei que foi para as maos de quem tambem a vai tratar bem.

em relacao a te mandarem parar etc vai sempre depender do policia eu se fosse a ti colocava um escape com DB Killer e se necessario modificava o DB Killer para teres o melhor dos dois mundos, barulho e nao multas.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts