Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. Engine Light Stays Continiously On After Ignition And While Riding | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

Engine Light Stays Continiously On After Ignition And While Riding

Discussion in 'Technical / Mechanical Discussion' started by s1-x, Apr 23, 2020.

1. s1-x

s1-x

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZF-R125 2018
    License Currently Held:
    Non UK Provisional Bike
    Hi,

I tried to do a few burnouts(6-7) and at my last one, the yellow engine light turned on. I never had that before and I checked everything I could and let it cool off for about 5-10 mins after that. I took a 30 min ride afterward to see if anything felt abnormal or sounded differently, but no problems to be seen or heard of. I'm gonna check tomorrow again, ride a bit to see if it goes away. Anyone can help me out on this one? I really hope I didn't break anything and honestly, I don't think I'm gonna do burnouts again after that.
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Not sure about the 2018 model but on earlier models if you turned the ignition on you can count the flashes from the engine management light.

Long flash = 10
    Short flash = 1

Then you'll have to google search what number you get to try and find the problem.

Burnouts.......clutch, crank, excessive revs......
  4. s1-x

s1-x

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZF-R125 2018
    License Currently Held:
    Non UK Provisional Bike
    It doesn't flash actually, it just stays on continuously. I've checked the oil again at cold temperature today, it's fine. I did a few excessive revs, and I did force the front brake too hard too.
  5. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Front brake isn't linked to engine management apart from ABS system but that would show ABS fault anyway. The problem is maybe a sensor or an internal engine malfunction. Do you have a local dealer who can plug into the ECU.
  6. s1-x

s1-x

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZF-R125 2018
    License Currently Held:
    Non UK Provisional Bike
    No, the dealers are closed atm. Gotta wait until May, I'm gonna take a ride again today to see if it's going away or not. What kind of internal engine malfunction though? it doesn't seem to overheat, oil seems fine so I don't really know for sure.
  7. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Does the dash display an ER number anywhere? A couple of years ago some scumbag tried to steal my lads 17 plate MT125. Once I had resided the loom after they butchered it to try and hot wire it the bike displayed an error 1 code with the management light, which turned out all it needed was a new battery.

The engine damage I was thinking about was you basically was trying to break the traction of the rear wheel with a stationary bike. So engine power would be transferred via the piston, crank, clutch, gearbox and chain. Where the pressure would build until either something breaks or the wheel begins to spin.

If you want to remove the tyre tread for no worthwhile reason then I might suggest unplug the side stand switch then simply tilt the bike onto the side stand to remove some of the weight from the rear wheel until it spins.
  8. s1-x

s1-x

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZF-R125 2018
    License Currently Held:
    Non UK Provisional Bike
    It does not display an ER number anywhere. I checked the dashboard. I checked around my bike, tried to look onto the outside of my engine, chain,... nothing unusual, and the motorcycle revs and clutch, gear sounds all are good as well. I'm gonna have to do an oil change in like approx. 250 km's, could this be correlated?

Attached Files:

9. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    If your going to do an oil change then look for metal fragments in the old oil. Otherwise I fear your going to have to wait for the dealers to re-open again.