Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, ever since i got the bike back up and running i've been having some electrical problems. Sometimes when i start it up its fine, then other times the HUD just doesn't come on. Other times it doesn't come on AND the indicators don't work. There is no set pattern its pretty much been at random. I've a funny feeling it's possibly the tail tidy, or then again it could be a bad fuse, anyone else got any ideas or had it happen to them after installing a tail tidy?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Benji said:
Yep, involves removing some bodywork, but other than that not a problem. You might have disturbed something when you put the tail tidy on.
Unfortunately it was my mate that put it on. Worked fine but after a bit of riding it seems to be happening on and off. Will have someone look at it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone tell me how long the warranty lasts for with new bikes? I'm adamant its 2 years but my mate says it was 3 so looking for a second opinion.

And can anyone tell me if it was still under warranty, would they fix the electrical problem under the warranty if it turns out it has been caused by the installation of the tail tidy?

·
Registered
558 Posts
i think the warranty is 2 years aswel and it wont be covered by the warranty if its not a genuine yamaha part fitted by a yamaha dealer, sounds like a dodgy conection of some sorts, did he just twist the wires together and then cover them with tape or something lol. un-bolt your tail tidy and bring the wires through the hole if they just come out hes done a bad job, if it comes out with the rest of the wires attached, have a look and make sure theres no wires exposed that could be earthing on the frame and make sure all the wires are conected properally, if not get some proper conectors for it, dont cost much mate :) try this and see if it helps, report back if it does or doesnt :D p.s. dont trust your friend with electrics again ;) haha

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think the warranty is 2 years aswel and it wont be covered by the warranty if its not a genuine yamaha part fitted by a yamaha dealer, sounds like a dodgy conection of some sorts, did he just twist the wires together and then cover them with tape or something lol. un-bolt your tail tidy and bring the wires through the hole if they just come out hes done a bad job, if it comes out with the rest of the wires attached, have a look and make sure theres no wires exposed that could be earthing on the frame and make sure all the wires are conected properally, if not get some proper conectors for it, dont cost much mate :) try this and see if it helps, report back if it does or doesnt :D p.s. dont trust your friend with electrics again ;) haha
He's my cousin, a mechanic.......:confused:

I'll have a look when i have time and report back, but i'm pretty sure he spliced them and soldered them. Either way, the speedo isn't working either so i'm pretty sure its not the connection from the tail tidy itself.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Can anyone tell me how long the warranty lasts for with new bikes? I'm adamant its 2 years but my mate says it was 3 so looking for a second opinion.

And can anyone tell me if it was still under warranty, would they fix the electrical problem under the warranty if it turns out it has been caused by the installation of the tail tidy?
2 years on all new yamaha's

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
It's, as far as I can tell, 2 from all the independent dealers, but a friend of mine apparently got a 3 year warranty, I think because he bought it from a Yamaha official dealer. Not really sure.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't had the chance to have a look yet. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are out for me as i'm at Uni most of the day so it will need to be Thursday, heres hoping the weather keeps up till then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts