Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. HowTo: - Dual Head Light Conversion | Page 9 | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

HowTo: Dual Head Light Conversion

Discussion in 'How To's Tips and Tricks.' started by azz2693, Dec 8, 2011.

1. MattieHolroyd

MattieHolroyd Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha R125 2010, Yamaha XS250(on going project)
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
  2. azz2693

azz2693 Super Member

Arron/Azz
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Soon to be GSXR 600 K8, ZXR400 H1 '89, YZF-R125 '10
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Just to let you know mate that the low and high beam bulbs are the same H7 type, its just the reflectors that aim the light differently :)
  3. Gavin Willock

Gavin Willock Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    No mate... The bulbs aren't different... It is adjusted higher in the cluster... And you can't change it..
    One light will always be higher than the other...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. stevie.c1991

stevie.c1991

Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125(2012)
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    cheers guys, apprciate it!
  5. Can someone help me?? I just lost that little metal ball, I found it, but dunno where it should be in the switch. Images of your post are not available. The headlihghts aren't working anymore, only pass switch works.

Edit: I placed the ball on the spring, but headlights still don't work. When i press the "pass" button, beam works, but the short-long light switch doesn't work and none of the lights glow, no long nor short headlight, only pass beams work.

Išsiųsta naudojantis LG-D855 Tapatalk 4 Lt
  6. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    em I was planning to do this mod at some point (was planning to follow this video - maybe there's clues in it: ) but haven't had the unit apart yet. If it's the same as the kill-switch side (which I have had apart) there should be little indents for the ball bearing since that + the spring should be what gives it the nice "click" feel.
  7. seb15243

seb15243 Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    Yzf r125, RS50 Streetfighter and Honda VFR750.
    License Currently Held:
    Other
    domukx777 try checking your fuses....
  8. cojo 4424

cojo 4424

Conor
    Current Bike (Optional):
    r125 2016
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    anyone done it on a 2016 model?
  9. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125 (2008) - Purple
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Should be the exact same on every model. I doubt they would alter the way a high beam switch works as part of a redesign :D
    If you try it and it looks different/doesn't work, oh well, not the end of the world, it won't break your lights (unless you royally f*ck it up ;) )
  10. cojo 4424

cojo 4424

Conor
    Current Bike (Optional):
    r125 2016
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    thanks for your info am a 65 year old that knows nothing about bikes or electrics trying do things for my son while he's at college.
    I tried the mod today and I solder a bridge between blue & green wires. I was trying to get the dipped beams on permanently as it turned out the full beam is on, so my next thought is to see if I can find out how to convert the 2 pin headlight connectors to 3 pin and then according to all the you tubes & posts that i've read I attach a wire to the middle pin (low beam) on both sides and hopefulyl "bob's you uncle"

Cheers all.
  11. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    That's very nice of you to do that for him ☺️. So are there only 2 wires inside the switch on the 2016 model? Does it not look the same as in the video North Cust posted above? If not or if it doesn't work, then you could post a picture and we'll see what's gone wrong.
    NorthCust likes this.
  12. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    As Axion said that's very cool you doing mods for your lad :D. I got told i would have to find somewhere else to live if i ever bought a motorbike xD. Joke's on them though, I got my own place and now I can have as many bikes as I like \o/

Have you got a multimeter for checking voltages and stuff by any chance? doesn't have to be fancy so any old multimeter off ebay/maplins should be fine (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353083875424 ) but it's usually the first step in diagnosing issues and means you can (for example) switch one light on and see where the power's going or check continuity of a switch or whatever..

So why are you trying to convert the 2=-pin lights to 3-pin.. is it so you can get both lights to dip and both lights to beam rather than just lefty-righty as usual? Aren't the reflectors designed to be just dip or beam so the light will go all over the place if you mess with it?

Idk if it's of interest but if you're wanting to have All The Lights check these out:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383694221707

bearing in mind it's only a little bike and the bulbs are ~35w each, switching both of them on is a fair sized electrical load for the bike. I know it's fine and loads of people have done it but it's still pushing it. Also electrical load translates into physical load on the engine so if we can have less then let's have it

I know on my trials bike even just having one standard 35w bulb would change the engine sound (due to changed engine load) noticably. However I fitted a drop-in LED replacement and now the entire wiring loom uses barely any power at all.... so I tried to find a set of LED bulbs to do the same for the R125. That way I can do headlight mods etc without worrying about frying it or running out of juice (or sapping too much power from the engine). I also have heated grips to go on, so if i can reduce the electrical load by any amount that's gotta be good, esp as I also have a USB, charger, alarm and a couple of extra gauges.

The bulbs went straight in as drop-in replacements, and are actually quite noticably brighter than the stock lights, which is great bc the stock lights are terrible. I've not tried them in the dark yet but brighter has to be better and I will soon enough and report back.

good luck, get stuck in and keep up the good work :D
    AxionUK likes this.
  13. cojo 4424

cojo 4424

Conor
    Current Bike (Optional):
    r125 2016
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Hi guys thanks for your encouragement I love doing things for my son I come from a family of 6 and all we got was hand me downs and I always promised myself if I have a kid I will give him all that I never had, he's now got the R125(2016) Nico 125(2018) and just got him Fiesta 1.2 (2007) to lean to drive in. Anyways back to the subject at hand, I have installed LED's sidelights and headlights both dipped and full beam. he's not been out on the bike yet to test the lights out,the plug for the headlights has 2 pins and yes I do have multimeter with limited knowledge on how to use it. Iv'e hunted everywhere I can think of to try and find an adapter/converter that would allow me change to 3 pin plug so that I can use the middle spade (dipped beam) and connect both sides with one piece of wire and hopefully that will give me both dipped beams on at the same time. If successful I will then go back into the light switch and break the bridge I made that puts both the lights on full beam.

Best to all.
    AxionUK and NorthCust like this.
  14. cojo 4424

cojo 4424

Conor
    Current Bike (Optional):
    r125 2016
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    sorry i forgot to say that when I opened up the light switch there is 3 wires in it yellow blue green !

Attached Files:

NorthCust likes this.
  15. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    So am I getting this right - On the 2016 model when you're in lowbeam both the lights are on but when you switch to highbeam only one headlight switches? Because on the 2008 model 1 headlight is always lowbeam, 1 is always highbeam, no matter what you do (unless you manually adjust the angle) and only 1 can be active at a time so the dual headlight mod is for making both the lights come on at the same time when switched to highbeam. If that is not the case on the 2016 then that explains the whole 2/3 pin ordeal, however that also means that I have no knowledge on that subject and sadly can't help :(

PS - Very clean bike for a 2016, gotta say, impressive condition
    NorthCust likes this.