Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE nation's petrol bill has soared by more than 40 per cent in five years — despite the fact we are putting LESS in the tank.
Shock official figures yesterday showed we spent £42.1billion on "retail" in December — that's shops and forecourts.
Buried in the detail were statistics that showed £3.8billion went on fuel — an eye-watering 42 per cent higher than December 2006.
Yet the Office For National Statistics showed the actual number of units of petrol is DOWN by 5.3 per cent. Motoring chiefs said the figures proved how much of an effect the spiralling pump price was having on our disposable income.

Diesel is within a whisker of a record high as the oil price soars on the Iranian crisis. AA public affairs spokesman Luke Bosdet told Cashflow: "People need to drive to go about their daily lives. The problem is that this is taking away from other consumer spending and undermines the ability of the high street to get back on its feet."
Yesterday's official figures were stronger than analysts expected. Retail sales were up 2.6 per cent in volume terms — the number of items bought — on December 2010. Clothing and footwear stores had their best sales for 18 MONTHS despite talk of Armageddon. The actual amount of money taken across the high street was up 6 per cent — given rising inflation. Around 10 per cent of all the money spent in December went on food. The figures follow a wave of administrations including clothing chains PEACOCKS and PUMPKIN PATCH.
Richard Hyman, retail guru at DELOITTE, said they were distorted by the effects of the snow that crippled the high street in December 2010.
He added: "While there were some excellent performances this Christmas, these were at least evened out by the lack of growth at some of the country's largest retailers.
"Looking ahead, it's clear the industry is in for a tough 12 months."
But the British Chambers of Commerce said the stronger than expected figures suggested the UK economy continued to grow at the end of 2011.
Critical GDP figures for October-to-December will be published next week. BCC chief economist David Kern said: "It is realistic to expect the fourth quarter GDP figures to show modest but positive growth

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I hear Virgin are looking to start a fuel company, one that will offer the CHEAPEST fuel...

·
Registered
686 Posts
the Government should drop fuel duty and make it up in tobacco and alcohol duty. people will complain and be all 'you can't stop me from drinking', etc., but they'll soon shut up when petrol costs £0.99/ltr again. the fact that 66% of the price of fuel is duty is a joke.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Well said good sir.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fisher said:
I hear Virgin are looking to start a fuel company, one that will offer the CHEAPEST fuel...
Virgin getting into everything

·
Registered
870 Posts
But i would still prob buy shell.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
d-r125 said:
i can see virgin selling petrol and offering phone contracts in store ;)
And cable tv with broadband

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
bloody hell soon sky will start making petrol lol!
and i agree with white!
nearly everyone buys fuel and not everyone buy drink and ****!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts