Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Do any of you need to adjust your chain for pillions?

I have a pretty heavy friend whom I often give lifts too...
My chain is pretty ****** at the moment and is severely stretched in some places...

When I put a new chain on, I don't want to wear it out completely straight away from carrying pillions...
How would you best adjust a chain for a lot of two up riding?

I don't want to adjust the shocks, as currently it's absolutely fine for 90% of the pillions I take, who are usually petite girls.
It's just this one who is... big boned.

Also, I cannot for the LIFE of me remember if the chain gets tighter or loose when you sit on the bike :S

Reactions: Kal-El

·
Registered
380 Posts
Now then you need to make it slacker for 2up riding and when u compress the suspension either on bumps or with ur big boned passenger it will make the chain tighter i would surgest about and extra 50% + free play with the chain at a rough estimate wot bike do u have now

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have never seen a recommendation anywhere for altering the chain for riding with pillions, or depending on your weight. The slack point is measured with the bike on it's side stand, and the movement of the swingarm is accounted for whilst maintaining a reasonable tension. You don't know when it last had a chain or sprockets, if it was the chain getting that tight repeatedly you would see oil pouring out of the gearbox output shaft seal and the bearing would be in a very bad way. Chain too slack is equally as bad as tight for wear rates. If you notice as well the pivot point for the swingarm is very close to the output shaft, so chain tension doesn't alter too much and to try and avoid the drive altering the suspension too much, it was a massive problem when they first started with full suspension mountain bikes.

Adjust the shock or tell porky to get a bus pass.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It does depend on the bike as i said i have an R125 and because of my weight i have a little extra play in the chain due to the ammount of compresion on the rear shock and the chain has had very minimal ajustment in 4000 miles probs about 4 turns on the screw

·
Registered
712 Posts
It does depend on the bike as i said i have an R125 and because of my weight i have a little extra play in the chain due to the ammount of compresion on the rear shock and the chain has had very minimal ajustment in 4000 miles probs about 4 turns on the screw
Again having owned an R125, I have never seen any recommendation in the handbook or service manual to deviate on the chain adjustment just for a pillion. Having a slack chain is dangerous.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
lol, reminds me of the inbetweeners movie!

Jay: 'I better not get stuck with the fat one!' LOL

Reactions: Kal-El
1 - 7 of 7 Posts