Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Details of a new motorcycle licence regime to be implemented next year have been confirmed by the Driving Standards Agency.
The new rules will limit all riders under 19 to 125cc machines and under-21s to 47bhp.
Those aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine up to 125cc and 15bhp by taking a test on a bike of similar spec.
At 19 they can qualify for a bike up to 47bhp by doing another test or undertaking additional training. This must be done on a machine over 395cc and between 33bhp and 47bhp.
They then face a further two-year wait – and yet another test or further training - before they can qualify to ride a bike of any power.
Alternatively, people over 24 can take a single Direct Access test to immediately qualify for bikes of any power. This test must be taken on a machine of at least 595cc and 54bhp.
Each step-up in power will involve a further test or training. A DSA release said: ‘The feasibility of the training option is currently being looked into; a final decision is yet to be made.’
The new regime is due to be implemented from January 19 next year.
It means 17-year-olds will face three exams or training sessions over a minimum of four years before they can ride an unlimited bike.
There are grave concerns about the impact it will have on new rider numbers. Paul Dickinson, Chairman of the Motorcycle Trainers’ National Council, said: “It’s going to be a problem just explaining the new process when people phone up. There is a concern it may put people off.”
At the moment there are two routes to a full motorcycle licence without power restrictions. Riders can either do their test on a 125 and spend two years restricted to 33bhp or, if over 21, they can do the Direct Access test on a machine of at least 47bhp and bypass the wait.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
i take it if u got a licence already it dont affect u?
i think they are gunna get alot of money this year with people taking there tests!

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i take it if u got a licence already it dont affect u?
i think they are gunna get alot of money this year with people taking there tests!
YEP thats right money making

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Exams OR training sessions???

I like the idea of these training sessions...
Surely that means, you can do only a single test, and then just top it up with training?

Kind of like doing a CBT every few years to get on a bigger bike?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
At least we got a year to pass and get restricted 33bhp licence. Or i have been thinking about just doing DAS test and getting full licence straight away with no restriction. Not cos i want a big bike but because some places that higher out big bikes you need to have a full and unrestricted licence for at least 1 or 2 years.

·
Registered
686 Posts
there are lots of people asking about whether or not they can pass in December of this year and then have to do all of that. i personally think that that is a really silly question. laws are not retrospective. at the moment, when you pass your A2 you have to wait two years. you're not going to get a letter saying 'basically that test you passed 21 months ago is now no longer valid, neither's your CBT, you're illegal.'

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Example of an unrestricted motorcycle
A category A unrestricted motorcycle is a solo motorcycle with a power output of at least 35 kilowatts (46.6 brake horse power).
You can take your test on a motorcycle in this category under the direct access scheme or progressive access scheme.
If you pass your test on an unrestricted motorcycle, you can ride a motorcycle of any engine size and power output.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Module one: off-road manoeuvres

Module one is the off-road module. It generally takes around 20 minutes to complete.
What happens during module one

Module one includes the following manoeuvres:
  • wheeling the moped or motorcycle and using the stand
  • doing a slalom and figure of eight
  • a slow ride
  • U-turn
  • cornering and controlled stop
  • cornering and the emergency stop
  • cornering and hazard avoidance
There is a minimum speed requirement of around 32 miles per hour (50 kilometres per hour) for the hazard avoidance and emergency stop exercises. There is no minimum speed requirement for the first cornering and controlled stop exercise.
Motorcycle manoeuvring area

Module one takes place in a safe off-road area called a motorcycle manoeuvring area. The layout of the area will vary depending on where you take your test. You can download diagrams that show the different layouts from the links below

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Hold up. If you pas this year, and have a restricted full lisence.
DOES this mean that the restriction on said lisence, will be increased to 46bhp???

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Module two: on-road riding

Module two is the on-road module and typically takes around 40 minutes.
You must bring your module one pass certificate to module two, along with all the documents you had to bring to the module one test

Documents you must bring

You must bring the following documents with you. If you do not bring the right documents:
  • the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) may refuse to carry out the test
  • you may lose your fee
You must bring your theory test pass certificate (or confirmation) if you are not exempt.
You must also bring both parts of your driving licence - the photocard and the paper counterpart.
If you have an old-style paper licence, you must take your signed driving licence and you must also bring a valid passport.
No other form of photographic identification will be accepted.

For motorcycle tests

You must also bring your:
  • compulsory basic training certificate (CBT) to both modules
  • motorcycle module one test pass certificate to your module two test (please contact the DSA immediately if you lose this)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hold up. If you pas this year, and have a restricted full lisence.
DOES this mean that the restriction on said lisence, will be increased to 46bhp???
bloody hell yea! it must be surley?
unless they just do it by year.
if u passed befor january 19th ur restricted to 33bhp
if u pass after that date blah blah blah....

i think we all have to wait for more detaile!
but im glad i passed befor this comes in tho!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Here found this, which explains it slightly better I think:

2013 and beyond...the 3rd European Licence Directive (3DLD)
Another raft of changes planned that will see an increase in the age for those who want to take the Direct Access Scheme, and additional difficulties for younger riders.
Before the DSA "gold plate" it and generally make motorcycling ridiculously expensive the 3rd European Licence Directive (3DLD) has the following changes:
16+ - CBT.
17+ - A1 licence allowing a full licence upto 125cc.
19+ - A2 licence allowing a full licence upto 400cc.
24+ - A (Direct Access) licence allowing a full licence for any motorcycle.

Unlike the current situation A2 does automatically upgrade to a full licence after 2 years. Instead people will have to take either a test or training to updrade to the new licence after 2 years.
The consultation was put out, the results of which will affect the landscape of motorcycle training. As with all these things rather than being transparent and help the DSA has set its face against the training industry and is set to introduce such a ridiculously complicated and burdensome system that it will be a wonder that anyone will want to learn to ride a motorcycle.

·
Registered
712 Posts
19+ - A2 licence allowing a full licence upto 400cc..
Someone needs to let the manufacturers get some models out and quickly, new bikes in the 400cc bracket just don't exist if you don't want a motocrosser/enduro/supermoto type thing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
laws cannot be retrospective. no. if you pass on the very last day of the current licence you will still be subject to the parameters set out by the test - 33hp for 2 years.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Kinda wish they would increase OUR 33bhp to 46bhp ¬¬ Grrr.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
yea that would be really nice but they wont do it cos everyone that has a 33bhp restrictor will have to get them changed!
Hey, for the extra 40% odd power, I would happily get a new restrictor :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts