Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few things that I've been thinking about when on my bike..

1 - Do you need to pull the clutch all the way in?
Not sure how others do it, but I usually rest my hand on the bar/clutch lever on the left, but I'd prefer to just use 2 fingers on the clutch, but obviously my other fingers would stop it from coming back all the way - does this matter?

2 - Bike doesn't stay running.
Probably more suited for the mechanical/technical section, but, my bike never wants to stay running as soon as I start it up. I have to use the choke ALL the time to get it started lately (the other day it wasn't even that cold) and hold it at atleast 4k for around 30 seconds before I can leave it to idle/tickover. I was thinking it was possibly the spark plug, but I've since had a service, which includes a change of spark plugs (I think). Any ideas or suggestions for this one?

3 - Doing a CBT means you can take L plates off scooter?
When I was talking to my mate who recently got a moped/scooter, and he was showing it to me, I noticed it didn't have L plates.. I asked him why and he said that the instructor at the CBT said you don't need them for a scooter if you've passed your CBT.. Is this true?

Cheers
-Ben

[Note; relative to the 2nd question, sort of, I don't actually own an R125. I've got a Honda Varadero 125.

·
Registered
558 Posts
1 - no you dont have to pull it all the way in, aslong as the clutch is dis-engaged your all good :)

2 - is the bike liquid cooled with a carb? if so i know alot of bikes like that can be a pain to warm up but once all warmed up its fine, i know the new Honda CGs have this problem.

3 - no it does not haha, if he has a full car licence and then does a CBT you then have a full moped licence and can have up to 50cc with no L plates. but if you have just a CBT you need your L plates till you pass your test :)

hope it helps

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
1 - no you dont have to pull it all the way in, aslong as the clutch is dis-engaged your all good :)

2 - is the bike liquid cooled with a carb? if so i know alot of bikes like that can be a pain to warm up but once all warmed up its fine, i know the new Honda CGs have this problem.

3 - no it does not haha, if he has a full car licence and then does a CBT you then have a full moped licence and can have up to 50cc with no L plates. but if you have just a CBT you need your L plates till you pass your test :)

hope it helps
If you passed your car test before 2001 I believe, means you can ride a moped (50cc) without L plates.
I think you can also take pillions, and use the motorway, all be it at a VERY slow speed :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
As for the clutch, you don't ACTUALLY have to use it at all.
http://r125forum.com/index.php?threads/clutchless-shift-quick-shifting-without-the-clutch.306/

The only time you strictly have to use it, is when you wish to stop.
Although even then, you don't strictly have to use it. You COULD just keep the revs up high, and hold the brake in.
Although, that would wear the clutch plates out VERY quickly indeed.

If you are using the clutch, you will feel if you are pulling it in enough.
Bikes are very good at telling you when you are doing something wrong.
I wouldn't worry about it :)

My biting point is actually set very far out, meaning my clutch is fully disengaged before my lever is fully pulled anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah I see, well he's only 18 and only done a CBT so far.

Yeah it's liquid cooled, not sure if carb though [I don't know these things :( ] lol

I did see that guide for the clutchless shifting a few mins ago - I've tried it a couple of times, but I can't get it completely smooth from 1-2 and 2-3, so I don't bother :p

·
Registered
686 Posts
the back of your CBT certificate tells you everything. for some reason, i want to say that i remember being told i can ride a scooter without Ls and with a pillion (albeit NOT on a Motorway beacause a 50cc can only do 35mph), but i know that that's not true.

·
Registered
558 Posts
should have them then haha, ohh well i rode around ages without them and never got pulled over i think because our bikes dont exactly look like a 125 haha, and nor does yours by a long shot :) but one day he'll be pulled over and asked 'have you got a full licence, no, then where are your L plates?!' haha

its just something youll have to live with mate, back in the old days of bikes you had to do that, non of this press one button and leave it haha

the lower gear are rather hard to do smoothly and if you do it wrong enough times it will take its toll on your gear box so use it as normal to be sure not to kill your gears, must be harder with youre V-twin too haha xD

·
Registered
558 Posts
about the CBT thing, have a friend who had been looking into it because he has a full car licence but not enough for the insurance so wanted to get a 50cc scooter so he can get about and found that if you have a full car licence then with a CBT it gives you a full moped licence with pillion use and no L plates. i think if youve only got a provisional licence you have to have L plates :)

EDIT: only passed his test round 3-4 months ago

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
If you passed your car test before 2001 I believe, means you can ride a moped (50cc) without L plates.
I think you can also take pillions, and use the motorway, all be it at a VERY slow speed :p
You must have at least 51cc to be legal on the motorway

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
yup its febuary 2001. lol

and yea its fine to use the clutch with 2 fingers! but if u do ur test/another CBT its best to use 4 cos they prefer that!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I just had a very stupid moment.
I was trying to work out why none of you use all 5 fingers.
Doh!

Reactions: azz2693 and Gweglez

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Going back quickly to the starting issues, as Azz said you're just gonna have to live with it Ben.
Your bike is carbed, which means that there's a needle inside that controls the amount of fuel you're getting. It's very possible for it to be wrong for this time of year, I know my old TZR hated winter because it already ran too lean in Summer.
It's not really worth changing this needle, because it's more effort than holding the throttle every morning.
You might wish to adjust your idle a bit higher if you can find the manual to show you how, that helps a ton.

But yeah, like Azz said, Liquid cooled Carbs hate cold starts, but they're lovely after that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
In a way you are using all 5 of your digits, as the thumb remains hooked behind the bar. (think that's got your covered Mr Fisher).

As for the licence issue, it's often called grandfather rights, if your driving licence is old enough it also gives you a Cat C LGV without any other test.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.