Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a one proper way to do a coolant change. I've drained all my coolant (hopefully properly so the b**ch doesn't airlock itself) and now I have to add new coolant. I'm not sure which color the coolant was because it's been awhile since I drained it. It might've been like a dark green. Should I run some water through the system to flush it and how should it be done. And also I'm not 100% sure how to bleed the system. Do I just add the coolant and let the bike run without the radiator cap?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi
You can only rinse the system with distilled water.
And you can buy the liquid MANNOL PRO COOL yellow.
You fill the cooler to the full and the expansion tank to max. You start the engine, drive until it warms up and turns on the radiator fan. You check or add it. CAUTION the fluid under pressure is hot!
Only check the radiator after it has cooled down

You can also leave the plug open and the engine running, but it will take a long time for the radiator fan to turn on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used some pink VAG coolant in my R125 and it works just fine.
The cooling system SHOULD bleed itself. Just run the bike without the radiator cap and squeeze the coolant lines a little bit.
(Huomasin että oot suomesta, eli voin auttaa vaikka suomen kielelläki :D)

·
Registered
429 Posts
using generic blue coolant in mine.. afaik as long as it's meant for aluminium engines it should be fine, but yes mix with de-ionised/distilled water not tap water. Draining should be easy enough with the little coolant drain nut on the front of the cylinder just below the exhaust exit.

Refilling should also be quite easy..I just filled in thru the radiator cap till it just covered the metal bits/plates, give the hoses a bit of a squeeze to try and clear air bubbled and then let it run a little, check levels (which might drop a little as the coolant starts to circulate properly and bubbles work their way out. then cap on and run her up to temp (fan kicks in). Once cooled check levels again and top up if needed.

Afaik you have to run her up to temp so that the thermostat opens otherwise afaik you can get some air trapped the other side of the thermostat which might then leave you a bit short when it does finally open, though it should really top itself up from the reservoir, though I've never quite understood how it manages that given it's downhill from the rest of the system

1 - 4 of 4 Posts