Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I would like to say that this is PERFECTLY fine for your transmission, so long as you do it properly.
If anything, it is better as it allows you to do smoother gear changes, and doesn't pollute your oil with particles from the clutch. It will also cause less wear to the clutch plates. Most (if not all?) bikes have a constant mesh, sequential gear box which allows this.

Once you get better, you will find this is the smoothest way to change gear, and will be quicker. It also sounds pretty good, especially when changing down gears.

Shifting up:
- Whilst cruising, or accelerating more likely, gently apply pressure to the gear shifter. Do not press hard, just nice a softly (but firm).
- Then, blip the throttle. This means release the throttle by about a quarter, then straight away reapply it.
- If you were applying enough pressure, then you should find that the bike just changed gear.
- You can now stop applying pressure to the gear changer.
**When you try this for the first time, you can use a tiny amount of clutch to ensure a smooth change**

Shifting Down:
- The same as up shifting, but reversed.
- Roll off the throttle and allow road and engine speed to decline.
- Once you are at a point that the revs are low enough to shift down (roughly 4 - 5k on the r125) gently apply pressure on the gear changer.
- blip the throttle on (about a quarter on the r125, perhaps less if you are on a 'big' bike).
- The gear should then nice and smoothly go in to place
**BE CAREFUL, if you do not match the revs correclty, this can potentially lock up your rear wheel**
**Start off by using some clutch to ensure a smooth change, then gradually use less clutch as you get to know your bike better, and what revs you can change at**

Blipping Explained:
This is literally just a quick flick of the wrist.
Changing up: Off / On
Changing down: On / Off

You should only have to blip a slight fraction.
As you practice, this amount you blip will become second nature.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible if your gearbox explodes, or you lock up your rear wheel and crash :p

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I refuse to ever clutchless shift down.
There's a reason quickshifters are only used on the upshifts!

Also, I'd advise not trying it on the up until at least third, I dunno about you Cam but I can never get 1->2 or 2->3 to ever be truly spotless smooth, it just doesn't happen :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can go up and down through ALL gears.

1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6
and then
6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Yes, in and out of first gear is fine for me...

·
Registered
686 Posts
i've had jerky changes out of 1st, but up i'm fine. not even going to attempt changing down because i know my luck and i'm also fairly certain i won't need to be racing to a stop. if i am, i have brakes for that.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It comes in handy when needing to ride with one hand for whatever reason.
For example, I had to ride whilst holding one of my panels in place after a screw came loose.

ALSO, it sounds so NICE when you clutchless shift down.
I also find it so much smoother! Which would come in handy for pillions etc.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I refuse to ever clutchless shift down.
There's a reason quickshifters are only used on the upshifts!

Also, I'd advise not trying it on the up until at least third, I dunno about you Cam but I can never get 1->2 or 2->3 to ever be truly spotless smooth, it just doesn't happen :p
I'm the same would never down shift without the clutch. It doesn't seen right to me and the thought of there being ANY chance the rear wheel could lock up tells me it's not worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm the same would never down shift without the clutch. It doesn't seen right to me and the thought of there being ANY chance the rear wheel could lock up tells me it's not worth the effort.
Whaa?
It's fine!!

Just so long as your revs are nice and low, and you blip the throttle and not force the bike in to gear, it will be fine!!!! :p

I can happily go in and out of any gear all day long... I haven't locked the wheel up once!
Ironically, I HAVE however locked the wheel once whilst using the clutch!

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Is locked the right word for this?
It never locks up, just slows down more than grip allows...
There's gotta be a better word for that :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is locked the right word for this?
It never locks up, just slows down more than grip allows...
There's gotta be a better word for that :p
If not, we shall invent one!

·
Registered
686 Posts
'skid', on a bike this is also known as a crash.

Reactions: R125 Rob

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Not neccessarily Sam!
This is how Supermotos get the back out, underrotating the back wheel!

And I tried downshifting today Cam, was pretty smooth but I'm going to go by the rest of the world's reccommendation and use the clutch for down :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not neccessarily Sam!
This is how Supermotos get the back out, underrotating the back wheel!

And I tried downshifting today Cam, was pretty smooth but I'm going to go by the rest of the world's reccommendation and use the clutch for down :p
Fine ^^
But thank you for at least giving it a try! :p
Did it make a nice sound? :D

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Same sound it makes when I clutch.
I blip the throttle anyway for rev-matching, even with the clutch. So much smoother :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same sound it makes when I clutch.
I blip the throttle anyway for rev-matching, even with the clutch. So much smoother :p
I find that it makes a very different sound... but maybe that is just me :)
I am not actually reffering to the blip, it is more the whirring of the engine under braking that sounds different to me.... More harsh perhaps? Not sure :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's a reason why we have a clutch, why wouldn't we use it.
It's just lazy not to use it.
You are right. It is there for a reason, and that reason is to prevent you from stalling when stopped, and for pulling away.
I would hardly call it lazy, if anything USING the clutch is lazy, as it requires zero skill or precision.

And have I not listed the reaons for not using it?
It is more precise, smoother, quicker, and causes less wear.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You are right. It is there for a reason, and that reason is to prevent you from stalling when stopped, and for pulling away.
I would hardly call it lazy, if anything USING the clutch is lazy, as it requires zero skill or precision.

And have I not listed the reaons for not using it?
It is more precise, smoother, quicker, and causes less wear.
OK it may require no skill or precision but i'd hardly say it's lazy NOT to use it.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't, I said if ANYTHING.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts