Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha yzf r125 2008
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My yzf r125 clunks a bit when starting uphill sometimes and when at very low revs in low speed scenarios. When on flat surface doing low speed turns i feel like shes gonna stall when im already rolling and not giving gas. Is it just because of low torque at low rpms thats putting too much strain on the engine? Should I just give her more gas when going uphill? I bought the motorcycle like a month ago, no other issues, 40 000 km mileage (25k miles)

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
503 Posts
idk how it is elsewhere but for low speed turns we were taught to slip the clutch since otherwise you get a sort of juddering from the drivetrain as the slop in the chain, gears etc gets taken up and released etc, mixed with a bit of engine braking.. which might explain the clunking.

Slipping the clutch is ok on a bike because it's a wet clutch, so is bathed in oil, so it's not like slipping the clutch on a car which is generally not advised. It means you can keep the revs steady and just dial in the power you need with the clutch, which makes for much more precise control than trying to to it fully engaged and accounting for all the engine braking and drivetrains slack.

I think the chances are it's that. The main sort of clunking you'd probably need to worry about would be "bottom end rattle" but that's quite distinctive and tends to get worse quite rapidly, so if what's happening isn't getting worse rapidly, imho it's probably just drivetrain slop and a new rider.

I know it's obvious but sometimes it helps to hear it: when doing tight turns like that and slipping the clutch, if you feel yourself leaning in too much you can just let the clutch engage a ittle more power and it'll bring you upright again.

hope that helps :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts