Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
That would be the R6.
Our bike's bigger brother (or in this case... sister)

They had one of these at a bike show here in the UK not long ago...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a pretty bike too! Is that bike a R125? What do bikes like this run, price wise?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
That's a pretty bike too! Is that bike a R125? What do bikes like this run, price wise?
That is actually an R1. 1,000cc BEAST!!!
It's the even bigger version of our bike.

The R1 is about $20,000 USD I think? (roughly 12 or 13,000 British Pounds) if I am not mistaken...

The R125 is a bit less than half that, at about $6,500 USD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW I am definately not starting off on a bike that big. Or that big in price!! $6,500 is more reasonable.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Th
WOW I am definately not starting off on a bike that big. Or that big in price!! $6,500 is more reasonable.
I honestly have NO idea what the price of an R125 would be in the states... That is if it is even sold there :S
I just did a rough conversion from pounds to dollars.

The new prices for our bike is a bit high to be fair, second hand they are much more reasonable. Could probably pick up a decent condition bike, with low mileage for about $3,000 assuming they depreciate similarly in the states, and if the list price is as I said...

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Just checked...

The R1 is $13,000 USD making it a lot cheaper in the states than it is here!
It doesn't appear that they sell the R125 over your end...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I will have to learn on an R1 then. 13,000 isn't too bad. That's a lot better than 20,000.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
So I will have to learn on an R1 then. 13,000 isn't too bad. That's a lot better than 20,000.
You do NOT want to learn on an R1.

It does 160 km an hour in about 4 seconds if my memory serves me correctly...
And it tops out at about 290km/h.

I am assuming you use KM/h? If not, that is 100mps in 4 seconds, and top speed of about 180mph.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See I'm learning! LOL I don't know how fast each bike goes. But that's too fast for me to learn on. What bike do I learn on since the r125 aren't here?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
See I'm learning! LOL I don't know how fast each bike goes. But that's too fast for me to learn on. What bike do I learn on since the r125 aren't here?
Well, as much as I hate it.... You DO get the Kawasaki Ninja 250 out there, and I know it is very popular.
It does about 170 km/h, and 0-100km/h is roughly 5 or 6 seconds I think...

That is probably an ideal learner bike. Easy to ride, and it goes fast enough to have some fun on.

However, I do not know what the lisence restrictions are in the US, and it probably varies from state to state?
Here, you can only ride up to a 125cc bike on a provisional license, however it may be different where you are, and you may be allowed up to a 250 machine...

If you are limited to a 125, and if you can't get an R125, then you may consider the Aprillia RS4-125

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not positive but I think you have to have a motorcycle license to ride one at all.

I see Ninja everywhere around here. Are those about the same price? ($6,500)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
The Ninja is $4,000 dollars by the looks of it according to the Kawi website.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I honestly couldn't help you there, as the US shops (stores) will be different to ours...

For your helmet, you will want to actually go to an actual shop, and try on the helmets to find a good fitting one that feels comfy.
What you can then do, is use Google Shopping to find that helmet as cheap as you can.
Same works for all gear really too...

You can try eBay, which is great for jackets and trousers, and possibly even boots, as people are ALWAYS upgrading their gear, and so you can often find perfectly good gear on eBay for quite cheap.

Do NOT buy helmets or gloves second hand though. Helmets you can't trust, and the gloves would be.... just un-hygienic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do use ebay now for other stuff so that shouldn't be a problem. I love ebay!

I would never buy a used helmet though. I will go new for that, for sure!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Fisher said:
You do NOT want to learn on an R1.

It does 160 km an hour in about 4 seconds if my memory serves me correctly...
And it tops out at about 290km/h.

I am assuming you use KM/h? If not, that is 100mps in 4 seconds, and top speed of about 180mph.
America works in miles I am fairly sure. Do you not notice American films never use KM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
As far as I know Cam, there's no 125s, or at least very few, over in the states.
Most people actually start on a 600 as their first bike, with 250s only bought by those who like to be very cautious.
Amazing really, but I guess they've got the right kinda roads for it.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
As far as I know Cam, there's no 125s, or at least very few, over in the states.
Most people actually start on a 600 as their first bike, with 250s only bought by those who like to be very cautious.
Amazing really, but I guess they've got the right kinda roads for it.
Hmmm... I had noticed that...
What are the laws for learning to ride then? Do they just have to do a test before they can ride at all?
As opposed to the L plate and CBT thing?

I had never noticed actually... I just know they don't use MPG and none of our other measurements so I just assumed :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts