Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently clean, and lube my chain, but I have recently started using a new lube, which is really REALLY sticky.

I used to use muc off chain cleaner, and it did the job. (It was far from brilliant, but not too bad, and minimal effort was required). But the muc off wont remove the stubborn grease and grime that this new lude leaves behind.

I cba to take the rear wheel off, so I will just take the chain off, and scrub it, and then scrub the sprockets whilst on the bike.

Anyway, what I wanted to know is, what is the best/ most effective/ most cost-effective product to do this?

I am intending to get a bottle of paraffin and scrub it. Will this be ok? Or can anyone reccommend a better product?

THIS is the stuff I think I will get.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Parrafin?

--Oh, just noticed you already said it-- :p

Can't go wrong really, I believe some chain manufactureres even recommend it! (although I may just be making this up...)

I also heard, that diesel can work? Although personally I would stick with the parafin :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
silkolene chain cleaner is pretty good but i also use parrafin. First muck off general cleaner, then parrafin & a toothbrush, followed by silkolene, then another quick wash....takes a while but gets all the crap off!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
muddyfunster what is 'silkolene'? and also, Andy, what do you mean by don't do it too much?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't it easier to take the rear wheel off than the chain?

[Never done it before]...
Well, you would need to take the chain off to take the rear wheel off, so not really! The chain is pretty easy to remove actually. There is a 'spring link' (I think that's what they are called) which allows you to remove the chain, without the need for a chain breaker. (It's the one link which looks different to the rest)

I also intend on cleaning both the front and rear sproket, which will take me a few hours, so I won't really have time to take the rear wheel off aswell. (Getting to the front sproket means removing most of the LHS front fairings, which can take a while.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Remember that strictly speaking, you should replace the split link each time you remove it.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Killachipmunk said:
Remember that strictly speaking, you should replace the split link each time you remove it.
That's good to know I assumed it was like a bicycle one and you just re use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
It's Probably okay to, but I've been advised otherwise all the time, so it's better to be safe than sorry really.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Parrafin?

--Oh, just noticed you already said it-- :p

Can't go wrong really, I believe some chain manufactureres even recommend it! (although I may just be making this up...)

I also heard, that diesel can work? Although personally I would stick with the parafin :p
Any petroleum or derivative would clean a chain, however its the additives they stick in unleaded and diesel that could degrade the o or x rings increasing the chance of the chain splitting mid ride. Personally I slacken the chain until it hangs and place the dropped section of chain in a tray of paraffin or kerosene, let it soak for a while then agitate it with a brush and repeat until i've done the entire chain. During each soak cycle i take a brillo pad or wire wool to the sprockets to make them mr sheen clean.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
That's actually a really good idea
I hadn't thought about letting the chain actually hang in something before...!
:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a bit of OCD about a clean chain lol, i spent many an evening being a saddo trying to work out the most efficent way of cleaning the chain

·
Registered
870 Posts
Easiest way i find is to put it on paddock stand and while in first gear spray cleaner over the chain and with a long handled tooth brush go to work over it rinse and Repeat 4-5 times then go for a ride and lube up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Easiest way i find is to put it on paddock stand and while in first gear spray cleaner over the chain and with a long handled tooth brush go to work over it rinse and Repeat 4-5 times then go for a ride and lube up.
Why first gear? Unless you are letting the clutch out and cleaning it whilst the chain is spinning

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes. I do this all the time but at own risk

·
Registered
870 Posts
But he was silly and put his hand near the rear sprocket.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts