Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have ridden all four of these 125's for different amounts of times, and they are all good in there own ways
I shall start with the CBR as it was the first i rode..
My first impressions were that it felt tiny between your legs, but for the size it also felt heavy? but that may have been because i was used to a little moped :p
Anyways this was the first bike i had rode, so i didnt test it to much, but it did have some wicked acceleration when i tryed ragging it. the bodywork would rattle on it when you got to 8000-9000 rpm which was a little putting off, especially when you got to around 50-60
the seat position feels more like you are riding a commuter over a 'sports bike', but not as much as the cbf
overall i enjoyed riding it, even though there are these small set backs, but it wouldnt be my first choice.

the R125 was defiantly the most fun to ride (from what i can tell, only got 2-3 mins on it) but in that time i fell in love <3 the only downside for me was the seating position, compared from what im used to, (the cbf125) it felt alright until i put my feet on the pegs, to me they felt far to high, but i spose that is what you want with the low set handle bars.
the bodywork on the bike (even though it has been crashed a couple of times... fishers bike) it felt soo stable, the complete opposite to the cbr...
If i could chose any 125 i think this would have to be this, because im SURE i would get used to the seat...

the YBR is rather comfortable because of the seat, but personally to me this was one of the only good things about it...
it felt like it was built well, like you would expect from yamaha, again i didnt ride it for long but from the time i rode it i liked the sound of the standard exhaust, probs my favorite out of the stockys.
the speed is something to be desired on this bike, i had it to 70, downhill with the wind behind me, but the acceleration is pretty similar to the cbf

the CBF i love, obviously as its the one i own,
the bike has a better build quality compared to the cbr, but i think that could be because they have had more time to perfect it...
im not going to sugar coat the storys about the cbf, there are BIG problems with it. I have owned it for 9 months, and in this time i have had to have my fuel pump replaced 3 times, as well as having a whole new tank as the joining parts to the wings rusted, (no idea how, as when i store it over night it is covered...)
honda have gone abit cheap on some of the parts, as they seem to all want to corrode some way or the other. Honda are now recomending you spray it with WD-40 each week.
the speed and acceleration are not bad, but not great. Compared to the r125 the acceleration is something to be desired again, as the r125 will leave it to dead, but on its own its not to shabby, something that is good for a learner legal bike. It still has enough power for small wheelys, but nothing major.
Fisher had a go on it today and he said he was presently surprised with how it handled and with the acceleration.
overall my choice order would go like this
1st: Yamaha r125
2nd: Honda CBF125
3rd: Honda CBR125
4th: Yamaha YBR125

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
u need to test the aprillia!!!!

but aprt from that it was a good read! well done!
cheers man, ha litterally its been asking mates if i can have a go on em for a little bit ;) im trying to get my mate to let me on his huskavara!!!! its so rappid!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Nice one!!!!!!

For the most part, I would agree. I too have ridden all of these bikes.
And you pretty much sum them up very well.

Good info for anyone considering buying one of these bikes, although they are all rather different styles!
Just need to have a go on the Varadero, and then I have pretty much done them all.

Edit: I have only ridden the old style YBR. The new one looks much bigger, and probably easier to ride.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Nice reviews man, good job. Thought about a job writing reviews for things?

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
huskavara is a 2 stroke crosser style bike, but my friend has the enduro model as he uses it in races and on the road

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice reviews man, good job. Thought about a job writing reviews for things?
nah :p cheers though, litterally i went on the r125 today and just thought stuff it, i might as well share my opinions and see what people think :) and Fisher, i rode the 04 model of the ybr (i think, its the red one at college)
:) if i try anymore i may make it into a little blog...
and if i try any more mods on my cbf :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice
Have only ridden the cbr, but I have ridden my mates Aprilia Tuono 125 restricted, which is about the same as the rs and it's quite good. Also tried one of my mates FP RS before 2005, the powerband is really funny, because at lower revs it's like a scooter the suddenly you get an extreme acceleration:D

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Tom Bark said:
so i have ridden all four of these 125's for different amounts of times, and they are all good in there own ways
I shall start with the CBR as it was the first i rode..
My first impressions were that it felt tiny between your legs, but for the size it also felt heavy? but that may have been because i was used to a little moped :p
Anyways this was the first bike i had rode, so i didnt test it to much, but it did have some wicked acceleration when i tryed ragging it. the bodywork would rattle on it when you got to 8000-9000 rpm which was a little putting off, especially when you got to around 50-60
the seat position feels more like you are riding a commuter over a 'sports bike', but not as much as the cbf
overall i enjoyed riding it, even though there are these small set backs, but it wouldnt be my first choice.

the R125 was defiantly the most fun to ride (from what i can tell, only got 2-3 mins on it) but in that time i fell in love <3 the only downside for me was the seating position, compared from what im used to, (the cbf125) it felt alright until i put my feet on the pegs, to me they felt far to high, but i spose that is what you want with the low set handle bars.
the bodywork on the bike (even though it has been crashed a couple of times... fishers bike) it felt soo stable, the complete opposite to the cbr...
If i could chose any 125 i think this would have to be this, because im SURE i would get used to the seat...

the YBR is rather comfortable because of the seat, but personally to me this was one of the only good things about it...
it felt like it was built well, like you would expect from yamaha, again i didnt ride it for long but from the time i rode it i liked the sound of the standard exhaust, probs my favorite out of the stockys.
the speed is something to be desired on this bike, i had it to 70, downhill with the wind behind me, but the acceleration is pretty similar to the cbf

the CBF i love, obviously as its the one i own,
the bike has a better build quality compared to the cbr, but i think that could be because they have had more time to perfect it...
im not going to sugar coat the storys about the cbf, there are BIG problems with it. I have owned it for 9 months, and in this time i have had to have my fuel pump replaced 3 times, as well as having a whole new tank as the joining parts to the wings rusted, (no idea how, as when i store it over night it is covered...)
honda have gone abit cheap on some of the parts, as they seem to all want to corrode some way or the other. Honda are now recomending you spray it with WD-40 each week.
the speed and acceleration are not bad, but not great. Compared to the r125 the acceleration is something to be desired again, as the r125 will leave it to dead, but on its own its not to shabby, something that is good for a learner legal bike. It still has enough power for small wheelys, but nothing major.
Fisher had a go on it today and he said he was presently surprised with how it handled and with the acceleration.
overall my choice order would go like this
1st: Yamaha r125
2nd: Honda CBF125
3rd: Honda CBR125
4th: Yamaha YBR125
Nice review
I want to race one of the above

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Tom Bark said:
You can race my cbf, but you would murder me :p ha
Well well need get it on tape lol Sunday me and Scott out and about maybe come see fisher so could have a run them
My bike cannot pass 60

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
You say you have gone through 3 fuel pumps already?

Out of interest, what fuel do you use, and where do you get it from?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
You say you have gone through 3 fuel pumps already?

Out of interest, what fuel do you use, and where do you get it from?
Only, I read in a magazine recently, that some guy had gone through loads of fuel pumps on his KTM, and it turned out to be because he was using 95 octane supermarket fuel. The magazine then added that all supermarket fuel should be avoided in motorcycles, as the fuel pump is actually in the tank, so it vulnerable to damage from poor fuel quality.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts