Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

can i run it with the standard ecu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
yamaha yzf r125 2015
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2015 yamaha yzf r125 abs and have switched to a 180cc cylinder kit.
this kit came wit a power commander but it doesnt fit the bike sadly.

can i safely run the 180cc kit with a standard ecu or do i need to buy a different power commander?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Short answer: NO! You WILL need a power commander.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
475 Posts
also no.

tbh even on the stock cylinder it benefits from the fuelling being adjusted (esp if you have an exhaust etc). Idk why ppl wanna put bigger cylinders on (ostensibly for more power) and then not give them the thing that actually makes the power (correct amount of fuel). It makes 0 sense.

"but it runs".. yes it'll run but it'll run like sh!t and if you lean out too much you can damage your piston/cylinder.

If you want to know more, please have a read of this, which is all about fuelling/mapping. It's an interview I did with one of the folks at dynojet who was involved in the development of the power commanders and covers exactly this situation: Interview with dynojet – in detail on power commanders | NorthCust - Built with love <3 - YZF-R125 & Scooter Tuning, Custom and Fabrication Projects, Northampton, UK (this also gives some insight into which power commander you might want to get)

·
Registered
15 Posts
cheers mate, also I’m just doing it for that bit extra acceleration I might get. I’ve heard from so many people that 125 YZF’s are fun because you can rag it down the road on full throttle and still be at a comfortable speed 😂, the main reason why I’m not going up to an R6 is because of the ol cbt 😅, I just spend all my money on tools instead of a full licence, also I don’t go far enough to spend that type of cash to basically just drop the L plates aha and I love my lil yammy I doubt I’ll ever sell her, even when I get an R6 I’ll probably slap some offroad tyres on the it to have her last ride 😜

·
Registered
15 Posts
it’s all down to bhp now and by the sounds of it, yzf’s loose 1/2bhp once it’s at the 5 year mark, and this 150cc conversion.. won’t do shit 😂

but yeah cheers for the heads up mate I appreciate it

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
475 Posts

they literally specify 125cc as the max capacity allowed.

yzf’s loose 1/2bhp once it’s at the 5 year mark, and this 150cc conversion.. won’t do shit 😂
you can also already easily exceed the 15bhp limit even on a stock cylinder. so I guess it's all in the state of the motor and how you tune it ;)

·
Registered
yamaha yzf r125 2015
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also no.

tbh even on the stock cylinder it benefits from the fuelling being adjusted (esp if you have an exhaust etc). Idk why ppl wanna put bigger cylinders on (ostensibly for more power) and then not give them the thing that actually makes the power (correct amount of fuel). It makes 0 sense.

"but it runs".. yes it'll run but it'll run like sh!t and if you lean out too much you can damage your piston/cylinder.

If you want to know more, please have a read of this, which is all about fuelling/mapping. It's an interview I did with one of the folks at dynojet who was involved in the development of the power commanders and covers exactly this situation: Interview with dynojet – in detail on power commanders | NorthCust - Built with love <3 - YZF-R125 & Scooter Tuning, Custom and Fabrication Projects, Northampton, UK (this also gives some insight into which power commander you might want to get)
i have a power commander but it doesnt fit so should i try to cut and connect wires or buy one that fits?

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
475 Posts
i have a power commander but it doesnt fit so should i try to cut and connect wires or buy one that fits?
if it's a power commander for an R125 then yes make it fit. if it's not for R125 then get the correct one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts