Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. Can The R125 Standard Battery Handle Heated Grips? | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

Can The R125 Standard Battery Handle Heated Grips?

Discussion in 'Technical / Mechanical Discussion' started by Callum Shearer, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Callum Shearer

Callum Shearer

Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF-R125
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Hello all,
    As says in title. Don't want to make the jump and buy heated grips if my battery may not be able to sustain them.

Thanks
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    It depends on the age of your battery as I've found they only tend to last 2 years at the most. However I've always fitted a standard battery into my R125 over the years. So in answer to your question; Yes, you can fit heated grips to your bike without upgrading the battery.

The biggest problem with heated grips is the dipstick who thinks it would be good to turn on the heated grips whilst the bike is parked up and your away from it but many of the heated grips for sale in the Oxford range have what they call intelligent controllers in that it can detect that the battery voltage is dropping and simply doesn't heat up the grips. Instead flashing a warning light to you as the rider. This is typically when the engine isn't running. Or when you arrive somewhere and forget to turn them off.

With a little electrical knowledge you can wire the heated grips into the ignition circuit which means they only work when the ignition is switched on. To access the wire just remove the 'throttle' side boomerang panel and the panel with the indicator mounted on it. Then follow the wiring harness down from the ignition barrel to an areas above where the radiator cap is. Then carefully strip back the insulation to reveal the 4 wires. The one you want is the 'Brown/Blue' wire, which is the part time live. Simply connect the positive wire from the heated grip control box into this wire and run the negative wire from the controller back to the battery. Re-insulate all the wires and check its working before you put the panels back on the bike.

To Check Installation;
    With ignition off try to turn on the heated grips at the control box. Nothing should light up. Then turn the ignition to the on position (no need to start engine) and turn on the heated grips. If the box lights up your in business and if you then turn off the ignition again the box should go off.
    NorthCust and Callum Shearer like this.
  4. Callum Shearer

Callum Shearer

Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF-R125
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    That's great info, more than I could have asked for. When I install the grips soon I'll definitely come back to this thread and hotwire straight to ignition. Thanks again.
  5. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Captslow - have you had any issues with the heated grips opn the R125?

I am thinking I might give in. Even with big gloves I'm still getting cold but I'm planning to ride thru the winter so it might be time.

I was looking to see if the electrical system could handle it but seems like it can, in which case I think I might get a set :)
  6. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Once upon a time I was like you and said I wouldn't need heated grips, especially as at the time my commute was only 4 miles each direction. But the design of the nose cone on the R125 means that your fingers are always in the cold air. I only get the basic Oxford heated grips which have (I think) 5 levels of heat setting but I've never had an issue regards the battery. Just don't wire them into the lights circuit.

I fitted some Yamaha heated grips to my R3 last weekend in preparation for Winter. These look nicer than the Oxford products as the heater control is part of the clutch lever grip. But they are more expensive. I paid £144 for the Yamaha grips as opposed to around £65 for the Oxford.
    NorthCust likes this.
  7. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    arg managed to delete my reply.. fun with the site not loading atm :-\

I've ordered a set - looks liek they have a separate power to the battery with a switched wire or something possibly, along with its own fuse.. so let's see.

My intended usage of the bike has changed a bit and i'd like to be able to do distance, and atm my limiting factor is how long till I can't feel my fingers anymore xD
  8. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    duplicate post.. site was being funny
  9. misiozol

misiozol Active Member

Change lights to LED and use this power supply, all about what amps wires can handle in given lenght ;)
  10. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    from what I can tell from the bumf on the listing it *looks* like it runs a swiched supply from the battery... so if that's the case then the load on existing wiring shouldn't really be an issue.

Well reminded re the LED headlight bulbs tho - just ordered a set. On the trials switching to LEDs there made a significant difference to the load on the electrical system, and that's just one bulb.
  11. misiozol

misiozol Active Member

It should be connected with protection circuit to heat only when engine is running ;)
    NorthCust likes this.