5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these lovely new tyres, in size:
160/60/17 rear.
120/60/17 front.
Installed 27/04/2012.
Replacing: Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier.

Current PSI = 36 front and back.

So I have had these installed for only 50 odd miles so far, and already they feel TOTALLY different.
I can't really give a fair comparrison with the Dunlops unfortunately since they were already fairly worn when I got them.

I obviously haven't had a chance to test them properly yet, but my first impressions are... mixed.
I don't feel very confident on them, as they feel quite... unstable compared to what I am used to. Although that is the wrong word...

My very first though was that they felt heavy. It took much more effort to make the bike lean, and I could really feel the wheel resisting. Before the steering felt really loose, but now it feels much heavier, BUT it feels much more controlled.

Then I felt really odd. Whenever the bike was leant over, it felt almost like it was sliding... I am sure it ISN'T sliding, but it really does. I think this is because of the different profile, and the high pressure that is in my tyre. As I got more used to it, it actually felt really planted. I put this sensation down to my old tyres being REALLY flat due to motorway miles, and partially flat due to probably not having enough pressure in them.

My explanation to the 'unstable' feeling... is actually just the bike inviting me to lean more. Just like the Pirelli's were on the R125, these tyres make the bike feel much more like it wants to be on it's side, leaning in the corner. I cannot wait for them to scrub in!

I will update once I have them scrubbed in, and see how they really perform!

They are still so new, if I rub my finger along the tyre, it makes a squeaky sound!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Is actually just the bike inviting me to lean more. Just like the Pirelli's were on the R125, these tyres make the bike feel much more like it wants to be on it's side, leaning in the corner.

Thats how my feel compared to the mich. the bridgestone's just encourage you to lean move and more. the problem is, we run out of talent before they let go.

Reactions: mozz

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
You say the tires feel unstable Cam, but give them until they've bedded in to pass judgement.
You will be able to feel them moving around while the tyre beds, because the inner layers actually move and settle into eachother.
This is why you don't mash new tyres, even if the surface is sanded, the insides won't be solid and stable yet.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Killachipmunk said:
You say the tires feel unstable Cam, but give them until they've bedded in to pass judgement.
You will be able to feel them moving around while the tyre beds, because the inner layers actually move and settle into eachother.
This is why you don't mash new tyres, even if the surface is sanded, the insides won't be solid and stable yet.
I never knew that... Nice one Killa that makes a lot of sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Yep!
Was discussing it with my mechanic, this is the reason he cites for not sanding tyres for people.
Only recently did we discover that the inside of the tyre, as well as the outside, takes time to wear in.
If you sand the outside shininess off, you get too much confidence before it's ready to be thrashed!

Reactions: Benji

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sorry are these tyrea on a yamaha yzf r125 and that is very true takes time to tempure the tyre aswell with heat from riding

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, they don't make these for our bike.
Closest example is the BT45 I believe...

Also, for those who didn't know, these tyres replace the BT-021 which also had a great reputation.

And Killa, I know,I know... I'm not passing judgement yet!
Was just an odd feeling.

I have now done 60 miles one them. They feel much better already.
I am now begining to gradually increase the lean to start scrubbing in the edges...
They are great. I have so much confidence on them already!!!!

Again, I shall put most of that down to the fact that they are new, and still a good shape :p

INTERESTINGLY.
I think, half the reason I love these tyres so much, is purely down to my frame of mind!
I know they are good, and hear people saying how good they are, therefore I am confident on them.

My last tyres however... I didn't know anything about, and was sceptical to begin with.
I was never confident on them... And my little slide when I FIRST got the bike knocked all confidence in them out of me from the very start.
I probably never gave the Dunlops a chance!
The slide I had, I know is due to being a very cold, slightly damp night. I was on a notoriously bad roundabout. And the tyres were stone cold.
I really conciously grabbed my bike by the scruff of the neck, and tried to lie it down how I would with my R125... and it bit back.

I learnt about big heavy, powerful, bikes the hard way ^^

BUT back to tyres...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Which dunflops did you have? Some of the qualifiers are not known for giving good grip.

Guess I should review the BT016's at some point.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which dunflops did you have? Some of the qualifiers are not known for giving good grip.

Guess I should review the BT016's at some point.
Sportmax Qualifier... DT209 or something along those lines...

Yeah, would be interesting to hear about them.

Also, especially as those COULD be considered the sport version of the 023... (as opposed to sport touring)

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
On the subject of unbedded tyres, dunno if you had this sensation with yours buuut...
When I got my brand spanking new Pirellis on, I was riding home in the wet, and I could feel that unlike the Michelins they were gripping so much harder, but were moving around underneath.

I can't even describe how weird it felt to be simultaneously planted and moving...

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the subject of unbedded tyres, dunno if you had this sensation with yours buuut...
When I got my brand spanking new Pirellis on, I was riding home in the wet, and I could feel that unlike the Michelins they were gripping so much harder, but were moving around underneath.

I can't even describe how weird it felt to be simultaneously planted and moving...
Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to explain!

Felt kind of like my rear end was sliding around, but still somehow felt secure.
It's stopped now though. Just feels plain planted :)

Reactions: Killachipmunk

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Probably about ready then!
Weirdest feeling in my life though, eh :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, they're ready.
Just need to slowly scrub off the outsides of the tyres...

Tempted to take sandpaper to it, but I think I will just do it naturally over time :)
Shouldn't take long.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm finally starting to push them!
Only on roundabouts for now...

My commute is either dead straight, or dead slow.
Am hoping to get on a quick twisty blast tonight on the empty roads...

However, I had an exciting corner today!
WHAT A THRILL!! Took one particular speed at a ridiculously fast speed!!!
I would rather not disclose the speed... but whatever you are thinking... add more to it!

The tyres felt totally planted at speed, my steering was going to give way long before the tyres. I started to get wobble...

So, I can approve these tyres for speed :)

Reactions: Killachipmunk

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would rather not disclose the speed... but whatever you are thinking... add more to it!
Excellent, you are learning well :) i'm not sure your bike goes as fast as the number I was thinking of :p
As for the wobble, sounds odd, relax, get locked on the tank and enjoy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts