Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cost for a decent set of Pirelli tyres on my bike is going to be in excess of £300.
And I read stories of them only lasting a couple thousand miles...

Now, understandably, more power will be more taxing on the tyres, hence why they don't last as long on bigger bikes..

Benji , how long do your tyres last you? Since our bikes will be more or less equal in weight and power etc.
What tyres do you recommend, and how long do you reckon they will last you?

I do WAY TOO many miles, over 500 miles a week. But, I love having the grip to throw my bike around corners and roundabouts, and get stupidly low! :(

But obviously, I think I will have to make sacrifices to be able to save money on rubber =/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,268 Posts
yeah you cant be going through new tyres every month! not sure if i want a big bike now :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,450 Posts
I am going to make my bike 182 and then I'm happy. I will end up in a grave or a cell if I buy bigger bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,268 Posts
yeah after 182 i'm just gonna try and get as much out of the power/weight as i can

tho that's for another thread :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obviously, that cost is for the Pirelli Supercorsas which are super sticky, ideal for track day type tyres...
And you CAN get them much cheaper, and that last much longer :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,114 Posts
fisher I bet you wasn't expecting the upgrade to be this costly? :) Maybe you should of kept your R125 a bit longer hehe!

If you do sooo many miles I think you should go for tyres which are more for road use/commuting rather than sport tyres that wont last as long
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,268 Posts
Yeah I'd rather my tyres last longer then go around a corner 5mph faster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,450 Posts
Gweglez said:
Yeah I'd rather my tyres last longer then go around a corner 5mph faster
I'd rather replace more often and have the extra grip. You drop your bike cos not enough grip could cost you more than 2 pairs of tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I LOVE cornering like a mad man.
Less grip, and I may as well of just got a car :p

Obviously, I CAN get tyres that cost roughly the same as the R125 tyres...

It's something I will need to sleep on.
Perhaps when it gets a bit warmer, I will get some nice super-sticky tyres :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,450 Posts
Fisher said:
I LOVE cornering like a mad man.
Less grip, and I may as well of just got a car :p

Obviously, I CAN get tyres that cost roughly the same as the R125 tyres...

It's something I will need to sleep on.
Perhaps when it gets a bit warmer, I will get some nice super-sticky tyres :)
Don't think about price with your tyres, you will be pissed off if you drop your bike or worse hurt yourself because of tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
You don't want Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa's for commuting on, they are a very aggressive fast road/track day tyre not needed for commuting, you won't see the mileage out of them. They are nick named the slipirelli's when it's wet.

I'm currently running Bridgestone BT016 pro's they are a good tyre, suited to fast road and occasional track day, they are sticky without being silly, with reasonable wet weather grip, not got an accurate mileage figure as the bike came with those on, but it's probably in the 4 - 4.5k. Will go down once the restrictor comes out, but depends on how hard you wind it on. For commuting I would personally run the BT023 they are more than capable on the road, with more life expectancy, there are equivalents in all the manufacturers ranges. What size tyre is your ZXR400 running?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
160 rear, 120 front.
I want something reasonably grippy.

Something like the sport demon, but scaled up!

I got.REALLY.good mileage out of them! And could virtually get peg down with them... (realistically, probably only knee down, but still felt damn far! )

its currently running Dunlop qualifiers I believe...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,594 Posts
Fisher said:
160 rear, 120 front.
I want something reasonably grippy.

Something like the sport demon, but scaled up!

I got.REALLY.good mileage out of them! And could virtually get peg down with them... (realistically, probably only knee down, but still felt damn far! )

its currently running Dunlop qualifiers I believe...
I confirm it was far!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
I'd rather replace more often and have the extra grip. You drop your bike cos not enough grip could cost you more than 2 pairs of tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Same, same. Which is why i have the boots i do.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Scott Murphy

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
I'd rather replace more often and have the extra grip. You drop your bike cos not enough grip could cost you more than 2 pairs of tyres.
I know where you are coming from, but it's odd with bigger bike tyres, if you aren't working the tyre hard enough the super sticky track day type tyre doesn't actually begin to generate the levels of grip it should due to not being in its temperature window, whereas a slightly more sport/commuting tyre will generate the heat, and because of the construction is designed to hang onto it's temperature, so during stop start riding as often arises in commuting they perform better.

So you could chuck £300+ at the ultimate track day tyre and make the bike worse for how you are riding it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,450 Posts
Benji said:
I know where you are coming from, but it's odd with bigger bike tyres, if you aren't working the tyre hard enough the super sticky track day type tyre doesn't actually begin to generate the levels of grip it should due to not being in its temperature window, whereas a slightly more sport/commuting tyre will generate the heat, and because of the construction is designed to hang onto it's temperature, so during stop start riding as often arises in commuting they perform better.

So you could chuck £300+ at the ultimate track day tyre and make the bike worse for how you are riding it.
Yeah I guess that's why I ride with sport demons as they seem a good mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nono, I totally agree with you that the supercorsa is not suitable for me :p
I will look in to those bridgestone ones, sounds promising :)

I will look in to the BT016 or 23 then :)
Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OOOOOOPPPPHHHHHH the BT023 has AMAZING reviews.
I think I may just go for that one :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
on my mates VFR 400 he had wierd tyre sizes and he could only get 2 types of tyres and they cost a fortune!
but he says you cant go wrong with bridgestones!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
am riding with bridge stone's
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top