Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've seen a few of you talk about upgrading to bigger bikes (600cc) how old were you guys when you upgraded (If you have or going to) and how much was the insurance? I'm taking my full test in January and by Christmas 2012 looking to hopefully upgrade to a restricted 33bhp 600cc. I have already got a quote for when im 18 to a 600cc which includes the R6, Daytona 675, ZX6R, Honda cbr 400, and the insurance was £,3000 - £4,000 on all of them and I keep thinking im doing some thing wrong because its so high. Am I doing some thing wrong or is insurance actually that expensive? How do you guys afford it, or plan to afford it?

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Insurance is ridiculous!! Some tips to help reduce is lower annual millege, over night keep bike in garage/ off the road, no claims... There isn't much you can do unless you move to the middle of no where. Its all a scam but Im not going to get started!!!

When I upgrade I plan on working hard ( I do already!) and paying for the insurance monthly! But when I pass I will just use the r125 for the two years, build no claims up on it and then hopefully it should reduce insurance. I will also probs put 182cc kit on the yzf.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Where are you looking?

At 17, online quotes for my R125 were along the lines of £2000 or so.
When I phoned them, I got quotes around £800.

Just bear in mind, that they ignore the restrictor, and will charge you as if you were riding the full power bike.

ALSO, those are all supersports bikes. They WILL be massively expensive.
You don't see many 18 year olds driving porches and the likes do you? :p

Can I suggest trying a naked, or roadster instead?
Something like the XJ6 which is what I am considering getting...

Are you planning on buying second hand or new? If you are buying new, then you often get third party insurance completely free for a year, and all you would have to do is top it up to whatever level you wish.

It is for this reason, that I would like a 250, or even perhaps a 400 as my second bike. That is if I don't just keep the R125 as a 182.
Insurance is just too high.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm 38, and it wasn't too bad for me, but age is one advantage, home owner, locked alarmed garage, nice area, no claims bonus, licence for years, etc. £380 for the year, lightly modifed ZX6R.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I'm 38, and it wasn't too bad for me, but age is one advantage, home owner, locked alarmed garage, nice area, no claims bonus, licence for years, etc. £380 for the year, lightly modifed ZX6R.
Ouch, that still ins't cheap!!!!!

I think I can pretty much rule out ANY 600 then! :S

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I am paying £800 or so a year fully comp on mine...
And that is a fair price compared to everyone else!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
i paid £190 fully comp i am 27
**** you. haha

Okay, for the sake of comparrison.
I have just done some online quotes using Compare the Market (always comes out more expensive than it should).
18 years old, Fully Comp, Full lisence (1 year), 1 years no claims, garaged, etc.
All bikes are assumed to be 2010 models, costing £2000 (apart from the VFR of course).

- R125: £766
- XJ6: £906
- Fazer 600 : £968
- R6 £6,798
-(the above three all have more or less the same engine...)
- VFR 400 : £860
- Hyosung GT250R: £900

As per normal, these quotes make VERY little sense. But, I will now proceed to eat my words. Apparently I CAN afford the bike I want!!! XJ6 next year, HERE I come :D!!!

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
**** you. haha

Okay, for the sake of comparrison.
I have just done some online quotes using Compare the Market (always comes out more expensive than it should).
18 years old, Fully Comp, Full lisence (1 year), 1 years no claims, garaged, etc.
All bikes are assumed to be 2010 models, costing £2000 (apart from the VFR of course).

- R125: £766
- XJ6: £906
- Fazer 600 : £968
- R6 £6,798
-(the above three all have more or less the same engine...)
- VFR 400 : £860
- Hyosung GT250R: £900

As per normal, these quotes make VERY little sense. But, I will now proceed to eat my words. Apparently I CAN afford the bike I want!!! XJ6 next year, HERE I come :D!!!
lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm paying 240 for fully comp insurance. I'm 25, but i keep the bike on a main road at my flat as i have noe garage. Last year my third party insurance was dearer. Just need to shop about as much as you can tolerate. It will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I'm paying 240 for fully comp insurance. I'm 25, but i keep the bike on a main road at my flat as i have noe garage. Last year my third party insurance was dearer. Just need to shop about as much as you can tolerate. It will be worth it in the end.
where did you find that price? mine was 595 fully comp and i am 30, but this is my first vehicle as never had a bike/car before but cannot see that getting down to 240!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
i done a quote for a daytona 675 2009 and it come in a £1200
-TPFT
-2 years no claims(which i should have iff all goes to plan!)
-full car licens held for 1 year

so hopefuly i will be gettin one next year:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
First 12 months on R125 £112 with £100 excess fully comp, this year £96.00. Got a quote for a Daytona about 2 months ago £166 fully comp £150 excess, also for 675 Street Tripple £132.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Wooow, can't wait to be old :p
£350 Third Party only on the R, £6000 F&T for a Gixxer and £1000 F&T for an SV650

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
First 12 months on R125 £112 with £100 excess fully comp, this year £96.00. Got a quote for a Daytona about 2 months ago £166 fully comp £150 excess, also for 675 Street Tripple £132.
Mate you are very privileged!!! i am 30 and could not find many quotes for under a £1000 until i found e-bike insurance and they quoted me 595 fully comp and that is with an excess off around 500 i think!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts