Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A motorcyclist has been banned from driving after arguing unsuccessfully that speeding at 156mph did not constitute dangerous driving.
Peter Clarke, 44, was filmed at the high speed on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 on the A1M in Cambridgeshire last year by an officer on an unmarked Honda Fireblade. Clarke was followed for eight minutes and was also seen undertaking other vehicles.
Clarke, from Spalding, Lincolnshire, argued at Peterborough Crown Court that he was an experienced rider in total control at all times of a motorcycle made for high speeds.
But the court disagreed and convicted him of dangerous driving. He was banned for 18 months and fined £1000 with a further £1000 costs after a jury found him guilty by a majority of 11 to one.
Miss Recorder McAllister described Clarke’s behaviour on the northbound A1M between Alconbury and Sawtry as “reckless driving threatening others”.
PC Francis Crawford, the officer who followed Clarke on the unmarked Fireblade, said it was the second highest speed ever recorded by police equipment, after another motorcyclist recently caught at 158mph.
He said: “Peter Clarke was riding a GSX-R1000 which he had owned for three days. He admitted riding at the speeds given by the police but considered himself safe and competent and cannot see how it was dangerous.
“We’re pleased with the result as it demonstrates that we will not tolerate any motorist travelling at grossly excessive speeds.

Cloud Sky Vehicle Infrastructure Tire

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Ehhh, I dunno about that kinda speed...
Friend's boyfriend always going on about doing 180 down the bypass near here...
WHY? Bikes are for bends, it's more fun!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Killachipmunk said:
Ehhh, I dunno about that kinda speed...
Friend's boyfriend always going on about doing 180 down the bypass near here...
WHY? Bikes are for bends, it's more fun!
To be completely honest when I eventually buy a bigger bike I will not be wanting to do more than 100 unless I am on a track.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
To be completely honest when I eventually buy a bigger bike I will not be wanting to do more than 100 unless I am on a track.

you wont stick to that! LOL

PS: If I was travelling at that speed and saw the blues go on or something asking me to pull over I wouldn't bother! There not catching me because I'd already know thats going to be one arse hefty fine!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
you wont stick to that! LOL

PS: If I was travelling at that speed and saw the blues go on or something asking me to pull over I wouldn't bother! There not catching me because I'd already know thats going to be one arse hefty fine!
He was being followed by an unmarked Fireblade he was not going to get away... Cop had been following him for 8mins at silly speeds.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
He was being followed by an unmarked Fireblade he was not going to get away... Cop had been following him for 8mins at silly speeds.
If it was a unmarked car you could get away, because they will have to eventually ask you to pull over. However on another bike it probz wouldn't work! my bad!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Yeah, in an alternate life, a high speed chase could be kinda fun to be honest...

BUUUUTTTT, in this reality, where I COULD actually die, and it where it would screw up my life, and where I could seriously hurt other people...
Not worth it.

Speaking of which, a new GTA comes out soon ;)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
He was and is a dickhead for that speed on the road they should have taken his licence and not given it back at all.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Interesting thing is, if you go over to the continent, there are many places that that speed is perfectly legal, and is actually common place!
Ze Autobahn!

And in fact, they have HALF the number of casualties that we have...

Please note, I am not saying this guy was right in any way, but just... yanno.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Fisher said:
Interesting thing is, if you go over to the continent, there are many places that that speed is perfectly legal, and is actually common place!
Ze Autobahn!

And in fact, they have HALF the number of casualties that we have...

Please note, I am not saying this guy was right in any way, but just... yanno.
What I should have said is on that particular road... Autobahn is a big open road the A1M is not a very big road to do that speed. Slightly on same subject but have you hit motorways Fisher?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
What I should have said is on that particular road... Autobahn is a big open road the A1M is not a very big road to do that speed. Slightly on same subject but have you hit motorways Fisher?

Yeah, I use em to get to work.
Cuts my commute down from just over an hour, to 40 minutes :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yeah, I use em to get to work.
Cuts my commute down from just over an hour, to 40 minutes :)
bloody hell that a long way to go to work lol!

hmm yea its bloody stupid thing to do...if he was gunna do it,he shoulda done it at a time where there are no cars and that on the roads....still not sayin it right tho!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
MrAndy979 said:
bloody hell that a long way to go to work lol!

hmm yea its bloody stupid thing to do...if he was gunna do it,he shoulda done it at a time where there are no cars and that on the roads....still not sayin it right tho!
No but could have been seen as less of a danger in his court case. I see people on big bike when I'm on my way to and from work who filter and ride way to fast as traffic always busy everywhere I go for work.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
No but could have been seen as less of a danger in his court case. I see people on big bike when I'm on my way to and from work who filter and ride way to fast as traffic always busy everywhere I go for work.

yea ino what u mean....it only takes someone to open a car door on them...

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
MrAndy979 said:
yea ino what u mean....it only takes someone to open a car door on them...
Ouch... Even just someone changing lane and at 156 mph by the time you see it you have hit it!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Speeding biker from Lincolnshire, that's not exactly shocking news, I think the biggest shocker is he didn't get sent to prison. As for failing to stop, if they have your plate, they will come a knocking. Just remember as well their gang is far bigger than just you, and just because you lose the vehicle behind, it's not to say you haven't seen the helicopter they have popped up top to for a watch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts