Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while guys, last time I posted I was riding a 60th An YZF-r125..

I’ve now passed my test and recently acquired a 60th An R7 (Yes I love the 60th colour scheme lol)

The reason I’m here is to find out you guys opinions on the best place to have my R7 tuned? Is there a specific tuner which is thought to be the best? All feedback appreciated :)

Couple pics of the R7:-
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Fuel tank

(

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
707 Posts
where are you based (or how far are you willing to travel)?

For actual proper tuning stuff which isn't R125s, I'd suggest RGS motorsport bikes in wellingborough, northants. Certainly round here they seem to be The Place i'd go to for proper tuning which wasn't R125 related (they'll do R125s too but i think they tend to do biggr bikes). They do legit race prep stuff for track bikes etc and have a dyno too so a great combo to get the most out of your machine. They're who did my R125 (PCV + dyno) initially and friends and I have had work done on cars in the past too like 10-15yrs ago (they have a car section too, kinda separate deal) and we were always happy with their work.

Idk to what extent newer bikes are actually tunable bc of their heavy reliance on Narrowband O2 sensors and computers etc - so idk exactly what's possible, but they'd likely know, and there's systems like the Rapidbike evo/race, speeduino etc which seem to negotiate those things. Expect it to be expensive tho, both for parts, labour and fitting things like wideband sensors etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where are you based (or how far are you willing to travel)?

For actual proper tuning stuff which isn't R125s, I'd suggest RGS motorsport bikes in wellingborough, northants. Certainly round here they seem to be The Place i'd go to for proper tuning which wasn't R125 related (they'll do R125s too but i think they tend to do biggr bikes). They do legit race prep stuff for track bikes etc and have a dyno too so a great combo to get the most out of your machine. They're who did my R125 (PCV + dyno) initially and friends and I have had work done on cars in the past too like 10-15yrs ago (they have a car section too, kinda separate deal) and we were always happy with their work.

Idk to what extent newer bikes are actually tunable bc of their heavy reliance on Narrowband O2 sensors and computers etc - so idk exactly what's possible, but they'd likely know, and there's systems like the Rapidbike evo/race, speeduino etc which seem to negotiate those things. Expect it to be expensive tho, both for parts, labour and fitting things like wideband sensors etc
I’m now leaning towards PCR in the midlands, who have an incredible reputation.

Thanks for the reply. Quite surprised at the lack of responsiveness on this post. I’ll presume that’s down to this forum being biased towards the r125

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
707 Posts
yeah - tbh I'd have responded sooner but with the energy price hikes and stuff I've just not been at the computer as often (because it's generally off), so am more out doing stuff & riding than writing about it. Plus I joined a trials club a while back so basically have been throwing myself + bike at/off rocks for most available spare time (or recovering from related injuries)

Also I don't think many people really go to proper tuning places, because they're expensive. When I took my little R125 to RGS initially they had a chuckle about it and hadn't really seen one being tuned before, but once they'd got the PCV fitted and dyno'd they were genuinely excited about how much they got out of it (~12bhp to 16.5). I then managed to improve that map a little over time with street tuning before I later went all in on the subject and learnt all about it, started doing the work myself with the big bore, cam wideband etc etc .

Most people just throw a big can on and then are like "hmm why does my bike slower but pop+flames more".. and don't really think about the fuelling aspect, which is central to everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts