Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. (after Lockdown) R125 Mid-week Track Day - Anyone Interested? | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

(after Lockdown) R125 Mid-week Track Day - Anyone Interested?

Discussion in 'General Biking Chat' started by NorthCust, Jul 13, 2020.

1. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    There's a go-kart track not that far from me which has an open door policy during the week (I think they mostly have kart events at weekends).. so you can basically show up, pay your entry fee and then you can ride around the track all day except for when they have a kart booking (which normally lasts 20-30mins). I've been there twice so far and they rank among my all-time favourite riding days. One time there was someone else on a monkey bike for a while and the other time I had the track to myself the whole day.

idk about anyone else but the idea of going on a full sized track with lunatics on litre bikes scares the poop out of me. Maybe one day but I'm still a pretty new rider and a long way from that but there's no better place to learn bike control than a track, especially a tight twisty kart track suited to smaller bikes and where you're not really going much over 40mph.

Being able to hit the same corners over and over and over and over and adjust position, throttle roll-on, push the lean a little further, brake a little later, all without worrying whether a sprinter van is going to spaghettify you, and then over the course of the day learn to link those corners till by the end you're flying round and flicking it like it's not an utterly insane thing to be doing on a wednesday afternoon...it's literally heaven (imho).

There's a clubhouse type place with a vending machine with basic drinks, bathrooms and sofas etc where you can chill when there's a kart booking and otherwise what you bring is what you got. The first time I went there on the bike with my gear in a rucksack, second time with the car and the bike on the trailer. Second time was definitely more comfortable but car's gone so I'll be on the bike+rucksack in future ;)

Is that something anyone else would be interested in? A few R125s ripping round a little track would be wicked fun and it does wonders for improving bike control. This place is in Leicestershire which is a bit of a virus hotspot atm [eek] so maybe not the best timing but I'd previously checked with them if it was ok to bring a bunch of bikes down and they were fine with it. They potentially would open till 9pm sometimes too (i think) though idk what dictates that.

If this place is a no-go, or is no longer in business or [insert literally any reason, it's 2020] there could be other places which would allow something similar, and even if not right now it could be something to maybe work out the details of so it could be done once lockdown is eased or whatever.

So this is more about the idea of doing something like this rather (whilst maintaining social distancing etc) than it being specifcally about doing it at *this* place. I think the ACU is allowing races again so nobody would be risking their racing ACU membership either, and maybe places are open.

I realise that travelling longer distance is a nightmare on the R125 which limits track time bc you have to save some energy to pack up and trek back, but perhaps there's a location with works better? For me it was about 30 mins on the bike which wasn't too bad but I would imagine *much* further than an hour or so wouldn't be much fun.

I think it's pretty much weekdays only too since they have events at the weekend, and that's likely to be the same with all tracks, but I work weekends normally so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125 (2008)
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    As long as they don't require full leathers I'm down (I'm squidding pretty bad atm, no jeans or boots), it's a 3 hour ride from here but I've got a friend in Leicester that I can stay with :)
    What's the address for the track that you've got in mind right now?
  4. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    It's stretton circuit - more details and their location here:
    http://www.strettoncircuit.co.uk/

20180503_154409.jpg

>> As long as they don't require full leathers I'm down (I'm squidding pretty bad atm, no jeans or boots),

The whole thing was pleasantly light on "requirements". The general vibe was very chill and along the lines of "do what you want to do, if we don't like it we'll let you know". There was a noise limit so I took the baffle but looking at the pics from the day I only had the forward baffle in and she's pretty loud like that, and I went round and round and round for *hours*. Idk if more bikes would mean we'd fall foul of noise limits..I guess if you got a baffle, maybe bring it. I feel like if we're reasonably well behaved there's quite a lot of freedom to do what we want there.

I think it was about £40 for the day. I also brought a few basic tools, a bit of oil and a top half of motox armour, all of which somehow fitted in my rucksack

>> it's a 3 hour ride from here but I've got a friend in Leicester that I can stay with
    that would be a very neat solution and would maximise riding time. It is pretty tiring so if you're gonna do either the trip to or from on the same day as the track so that you only spend one night away, I'd probably do the way there and then you have a bit of recovery time at the place, ride round and round and then just local drop to your friend's house, nice ride back through cambs country roads the next day :)

I find it's a very nice and unique endorphin "high" from a day like that (also quite expensive in tems of effort/risk if not so much money), ... it would be a shame to waste it sat on the a14 for 3 hrs wishing you were at home because everything hurts now. Much better sat in the garden drinking beer with a friend in the sunshine and grinning a lot :)
  5. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125 (2008)
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    > There was a noise limit
    Welp. Looks like it's baffle time then, because it is loooooouuuuud and it's favourite hobby is to crackle and pop :/

> I also brought a few basic tools, a bit of oil and a top half of motox armour, all of which somehow fitted in my rucksack
    I have more tools in my backpack than most people have in their car :D
    If they let you pass with a top half of moto x armour then I should be fine with my underarmour

> Much better sat in the garden drinking beer with a friend in the sunshine and grinning a lot
    I prefer a non-alcoholic beverage :p

But yeah I'm down for sure. Count me in whenever :)
    NorthCust likes this.
  6. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    >> Welp. Looks like it's baffle time then, because it is loooooouuuuud and it's favourite hobby is to crackle and pop :/

lol, yeah most places will have a noise limit and some it's not even that high. This track is next to an airfield which I guess is how they're allowed to make some noise. If it's a straight system with no baffles at all then that will certainly need one. Mine was deafening like that. If you can't find one to fit your exhaust let me know the diameter of the outlet and I'll see what I can come up with. I still have a bit of 2.5" ali bar left.

Crackling and popping is for the street :p (but yes I love that sound).

> But yeah I'm down for sure. Count me in whenever
    ok cool - well their website says they're open again so I might give them a bell and see if they still do the open track thing.

I normally do bike stuff/riding weds/thursdays as I'm working most other days, so depending on how flexible you are I'd probably be guided by the weather...so perhaps once leicester isn't locked down anymore, we could perhaps aim for a wed/thur which looks like it'll be decent weather (as soon as you have a workable baffle), assuming no hardware failures in the mean time.

Previously it was a case of just call up the day before and on the day to check they've not got a last minute all day booking or something but then off we go.

We can't really plan too firmly anyway bc if they get a last minute corporate karting day you better believe they'll take it over us and quite right too. So whatever "plans" we make could be overwritten by that just as easily as by the weather.
  7. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125 (2008)
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    > as soon as you have a workable baffle
    I do have a workable baffle, it just makes my bike sound miserable :D (I've been out past 11pm countless times before and had to put in the baffle at the roadside before returning to my neighbourhood because I don't want to get the police called on me)
    I can do literally any day as long as it's not weekends or friday, just hmu with a rough time frame/date when it's reasonably close to happening.
    NorthCust likes this.
  8. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    sweet! so we're good then \o/ will do :D
  9. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    ok so I jsut checked and they're still open and still do the open sessiions. In fact they've started doing some bike only sessions where they don't take kart bookings (thursdays 10-4).

So like we could give it a whirl next week potentially?... the weather chart is looking pretty good for then. I PM'd you on here re contact etc.
  10. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125 (2008)
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    > So like we could give it a whirl next week potentially?
    Ok when I said literally any time I meant closer to end of July (can't really travel right now due to certain circumstances + Leicester is still in lockdown) so mb
    Next week is poteeeeentially ok but I can't confirm nor deny right now, need to talk to a couple of people to figure things out

Edit: I got 2 friends that are down to come as well but they're down if it's for my birthday (5th of August). I don't really fancy doing it on the date but a day or two before or after the 5th would mean we've got at least 4 people going. I know that's quite a bit later than you'd like but is that still alright?
    NorthCust likes this.
  11. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    end of july or around the 5th august also works for me..more people would be ace :D. Are they also on R125s? I don't thnk they allow bigger bikes. They mostly do mini bikes but they sorta don't mind the r125s and similar bc they're small if you rock up on a 600 I would imagine you'd be turned away (would be bored anyway)

I've just got my trials bike back from the mot (passed with flying colours) so I've got plenty of entertainment for now so august fits nicely for me too, as long as it's still mid week.

I looked at the leicester lockdown thing and it seemed to be the city of leicester but I guess the circuit is on the edge of that. I'm happy to leave it a bit till we see how this second wave pans out too.
  12. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125 (2008)
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    > Are they also on R125s?
    One is on an RC125 and the other is on a Z125 (not the pro version)

> I've just got my trials bike back from the mot (passed with flying colours)
    Congrats :D

> as long as it's still mid week.
    The 6th would be ideal but I don't want to make plans right now since I don't know if any of them are working on Thursday.

> I looked at the leicester lockdown thing and it seemed to be the city of leicester
    Yeah but my friend lives in Leicester so the lockdown also affects me (tbh the other two guys aren't so keen on sleeping over so maybe I won't even go to Leicester itself)

> I'm happy to leave it a bit till we see how this second wave pans out too.
    Alright yeah let's leave it for a bit until we get closer to August :)
  13. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    ah yes good point re staying in leics.

otherwise - all good sounds like a fun day. I'll put a reminder to link up closer to the time. Looking forward to it :D
  14. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Currently we're looking at thurs the 27th august for this... (lockdown permitting!)