Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. A Question About Piston Kits | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

A Question About Piston Kits

Discussion in 'YZF-R125 Area' started by RadactPotato, Jan 12, 2021 at 8:13 PM.

1. RadactPotato

RadactPotato New Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZF-R125 '15
    License Currently Held:
    Non UK Provisional Bike
    Will an Airsal (or any other non-OEM piston kit) work in a stock R125 cylinder?
    I'm changing the piston kit on my 2015 R125 as it's eating oil. I asked Yamaha how much an OEM piston kit would be and they told that it would be about 180€ :/
    I'm also taking recommendations for good piston kits that work with the stock cylinder.

Thanks!
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    some discussion on that subject here:
    https://www.r125forum.com/threads/broken-cylinder.20508/#post-348648

theoretically any aftermarket kit *should* fit, though quality & finish look like it does vary..

whilst I've bought 2 replacement cylinders they're identical and 180cc so can't really comment on 125cc replacements.

Someone might suggest that you should switch to a 180cc kit, which is fine (i have on and love it) though bear in mind if you do so - the fuelling will need adjusting (power commander + adjustment. $$), and you would likely have to update your paperwork/registration (if you want to ride legally), and that's if the mod is even allowed in your country. Norway is pretty strict afaik...idk about Finland.

> I'm also taking recommendations for good piston kits that work with the stock cylinder.

replacement cylinder will come with a matching piston, wrist pin, piston rings and the circlips to hold the wrist pin in.
    RadactPotato likes this.