Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d start a new thread as every thread I am currently watching has included something about bigger bikes!

So here we can collect all information together?
Firstly I’ve always wanted a R6, until I was on my mates R6 (58plate) I felt tooo squashed together, I could see over the screen (It just felt awkward) So now I’m not too keeen on them. Furthermore, I know the R6 power band is from around 12k, they are a high reving bike. I’m kind of looking for a 600 that has a smoother powerband? Something quiet nice in lower/mid rev’s range and comfortable but stylish to ride. (GSXR?) I am not looking to get a another bike now, but its nice to set yourself goals etc and find out more about bikes. So please share your thoughts/images and any other 600cc chat here!

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Pretty much all 600 4 Cylinders are gonna be screamers D, the Triple of the Daytona's probably a little better suited to lower revs, and a twin would be the best.
Fact is Sportsbikes are designed to be revved, if you are in the low revs with any of them, then you'll be choking it. Makes no real difference.

Here's some dynos I found.

As you can see there's very little difference with all of these, but the R6 is clearly the worst in mid range.
The Daytona makes its power a lot further down than all of the others, and you can bet a twin would be shifted even further to the left.

And here's a torque graph much to the same effect:

And here's one to show the Ducati twin in comparison for torque. Yes it has a larger engine, so it has more torque, but it's all shifted to the low revs, which would be the same with a smaller twin.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the very informative information, what other twin bikes are available other than the ducati 749?. I learn something new everyday :D

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Most of them won't be Supersports, that's your problem.
They don't design a lot of sport bikes with Twins, because that's just not very well suited to the application!
Best I can suggest is a faired Sports-Tourer, ie. SV650S or some such.
These are designed to be low-revving.

You will find it very hard to find a true sportsbike that has lots of low-end torque. So if you want a superbike, you're just gonna have to bite the bullet.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think if I was to get a bigger bike it will be a GSXR, Im on that very often as my bro has one, feel more comfortable than the r6!!

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Just remember D, 33bhp does not mean you only get 33 at the top end.
Here's a dyno from a restricted VFR, I imagine the power for all of these 600s would look like this also.
On the graph up top, all of them are producing 33bhp by 5k revs.
So you'd end up with a flattened graph past that point. Citation please Benji ? Am I correct in thinking that's how the power would work for an ECU restriction?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Try a Honda CBR 600 F. I think they deliver power a little lower down, and are one of the best compromises between comfort and sports styling. They are pretty reliable too.

Reactions: D-Drz

·
Registered
686 Posts
Kawasaki's er6-n/f would be a good shout. looks absolutely spot on, comfy seat, not too small (sat on all of them a couple of times, now) or too heavy and has the low- to mid-range power yet it'll keep up nicely with your CBR/GSXR/YZF past a tonne.

also, the insurance on a 59 plate er6-n is less than mine is right now. go figure... :/

Reactions: Killachipmunk

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
i should be gettin my 2009 daytona in december:D
i was set on a k7 GSXR then i went to a dealer and sat on one...i wasent to keen anymore! i didnt like the tank on it for some reason...there wernt any grooves on it or anything and i just found it uncomfterbal...then i went to jacklillys triumph to sit on a daytona! and gues what...i loved it! if felt perfect for me!

d-r125 if u want a sports bike with a flat power curve..i would recomnd a cbr600rr! apparently its realy nice and easy to ride aswell...plus if u get a 2004 model they are really cheap!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yep, that's about it Chippy, pulls well until, then it just kind of stops pulling, but it's not an abrupt cut off. 53 days left of restriction, and ooh would you look at that the ZX6R made the most power :) That's without the couple of extra ponies I have hiding in a little box come the day.

It depends what you want from a bike and what you can afford. If I was commuting, I would not own my bike, i would probably be on an ER6f or a Versys or even a Ducati Monster. CBR600RR it's typical honda, well engineered, handles lovely, not the most powerful in class, but a good solid bike. Twins always produce good torque figures, but don't have the screaming top end, lovely for road, but they tend to get eaten alive on a trackday. If you look at the 2007 season, in supersport, even after the 150cc advantage the 749 was losing out badly to the R6 and the ZX6R :)

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i should be gettin my 2009 daytona in december:D
i was set on a k7 GSXR then i went to a dealer and sat on one...i wasent to keen anymore! i didnt like the tank on it for some reason...there wernt any grooves on it or anything and i just found it uncomfterbal...then i went to jacklillys triumph to sit on a daytona! and gues what...i loved it! if felt perfect for me!

d-r125 if u want a sports bike with a flat power curve..i would recomnd a cbr600rr! apparently its realy nice and easy to ride aswell...plus if u get a 2004 model they are really cheap!!
I cant wait for you to get it ;) Im looking at the CBR600 rr's I found this I wont be getting a bigger bike anytime soon though...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/cbr600rr-2005-cbr600-rr-honda-needs-to-go/95678894

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I cant wait for you to get it ;) Im looking at the CBR600 rr's I found this I wont be getting a bigger bike anytime soon though...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/cbr600rr-2005-cbr600-rr-honda-needs-to-go/95678894
neither can i;) ill meet u at ace cafe in 10 mins:)

yea they are nice reliable bikes and cheaper then what im looking at...:)

and another good thing about a twin is THE NOISE!!!!!!
you cant beat that noise!!! my mate has got an SV with a remus exhaust and it sounds mint!

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
neither can i;) ill meet u at ace cafe in 10 mins:)

yea they are nice reliable bikes and cheaper then what im looking at...:)

and another good thing about a twin is THE NOISE!!!!!!
you cant beat that noise!!! my mate has got an SV with a remus exhaust and it sounds mint!
Ace isnt far from me! :)

I want to 182kit my bike but not sure if its entirely worth it =/ I also want to keep the r125... OH IM SOO INDECISIVE :mad:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Ace isnt far from me! :)

I want to 182kit my bike but not sure if its entirely worth it :hmm: I also want to keep the r125... OH IM SOO INDECISIVE :mad:
hahah!! ino i would keep mine if it wasent for space and money:(
if i got a cheaper bike i could afford to keep it...but i dont wanna leave it outside in the cold:( lol

as for the 182 kit...its up 2 u lol...its alot of money if u gunna sell the bike soon lool

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not looking to sell soon, but still not sure if its worth the money. I would prefer two bikes tbh :D

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol fair enough!!
its up to u buddy theres a good and bad side to it!

i want 2 bike r125 for weekdays and daytona for weekends
if I can afford it I will ;)

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For me i do not want to ride a 600 everyday so will have to wait until i can afford to have both :(
Same with me, I'd hate knowing I have all that power and not being able to use it! (IN LONDON)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts