Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many moons ago, on an entirely different forum, I posted about a mysterious engine failure my YZF-R125 "Wasp" suffered, back on the 1st August 2011 - in the Car Park at work!
Well, on the 23rd of March, it happened again!!!
Friday afternoon, 3.30pm all saddled and suited up. Started the engine, it burst to life, ran for no more than 5 seconds, then inexplicably died. Attempts to restart the engine proved rather quite abortive. "Computer said no....".
I even left the bike for 30 minutes, in case by some strange quirk of fate, the engine had "flooded". No dice.
The "Wasp" didn't even want to give me "time of the day". It simply refused to play ball.
So, I called the RAC again. Nice sympathetic dude turns up, does everything within his power to bring the R back to life. The bike turns its front fairing up at his efforts, and snorts in derision. The dude even pulled the spark plug out and pronounced it fit for use. Put it all together again, starts her up. She ran for 5 seconds, then shutdown again!!
Now, the bike mileage was at all 882 miles. It was serviced last October 27th at about 600 miles, and after a ride or five, parked up for the winter. After 50 miles of riding (just March alone - round trip to work is 9 miles!!) this happens. :-(
Well, RAC dude eventually gave up. He summoned an RAC Tow Van to take my bike home. I finally trundled out of the gates at work at 8pm in the evening, bike in tow. Allegedly, it needed the intervention of a Bike Garage. It was postulated that the fuel pump might be on the blink. Arrived home, bike in tow, notice my Mazda MX-3 parked across the road laughing at me. I wonder if it's responsible for this? ;-)

Sunday morning, wake up and have an epiphany!! The "Wasp" only ever broke down twice in 3.5 years of ownership. Locations? Within 10 metres of each other!!! That CANNOT be a frakking coincidence! Grab my keys, pelt downstairs, uncover the "Wasp", disarm the alarm, fire her up. She starts first time, and runs. Left it running for 30 minutes, not a hiccup. Shut her down after that, came back 20 minutes later, fired her up again. She works.
I realise that something in the area at work might have somehow affected the immobiliser of the DataTool S4 Red on my bike.
Adding credence to that theory is the fact that as we towed the bike home, the Alarm did NOT scream blue murder all the way. However, when tested at home on Sunday, it gave the neighbours a fright.
Suspicion fell on the mobile network microwave emitters located on the top of the building where I work. Two of them were aimed - angled, in tandem at the spot where my bike was parked, the same location I was riding through months earlier when the engine inexplicably died!! I've taken the R out twice since then, and she's performed flawlessly. My money is on those pesky mobile phone masts. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did the alarm show any signs of being de-activated when you went to start the bike at work ? Also, what alarm is it ? If its the immobiliser (which it sounds like it could well be), then I'd be interested to know if the alarm itself has been potted (are the electronics encased in a resin or silicone block). If not, with such little use its possible that the relay contacts could become oxidised and need exercising a bit to clean them up. If the alarm showed no signs of response to being deactivated, then I'd be more inclined to suspect the local RF environment.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
that happen a few times to me a speedy call to my mate at yamaha tell me to push the bike out of the area and try again because of the RF signal

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Many moons ago, on an entirely different forum, I posted about a mysterious engine failure my YZF-R125 "Wasp" suffered, back on the 1st August 2011 - in the Car Park at work!
Well, on the 23rd of March, it happened again!!!
Friday afternoon, 3.30pm all saddled and suited up. Started the engine, it burst to life, ran for no more than 5 seconds, then inexplicably died. Attempts to restart the engine proved rather quite abortive. "Computer said no....".
I even left the bike for 30 minutes, in case by some strange quirk of fate, the engine had "flooded". No dice.
The "Wasp" didn't even want to give me "time of the day". It simply refused to play ball.
So, I called the RAC again. Nice sympathetic dude turns up, does everything within his power to bring the R back to life. The bike turns its front fairing up at his efforts, and snorts in derision. The dude even pulled the spark plug out and pronounced it fit for use. Put it all together again, starts her up. She ran for 5 seconds, then shutdown again!!
Now, the bike mileage was at all 882 miles. It was serviced last October 27th at about 600 miles, and after a ride or five, parked up for the winter. After 50 miles of riding (just March alone - round trip to work is 9 miles!!) this happens. :-(
Well, RAC dude eventually gave up. He summoned an RAC Tow Van to take my bike home. I finally trundled out of the gates at work at 8pm in the evening, bike in tow. Allegedly, it needed the intervention of a Bike Garage. It was postulated that the fuel pump might be on the blink. Arrived home, bike in tow, notice my Mazda MX-3 parked across the road laughing at me. I wonder if it's responsible for this? ;-)

Sunday morning, wake up and have an epiphany!! The "Wasp" only ever broke down twice in 3.5 years of ownership. Locations? Within 10 metres of each other!!! That CANNOT be a frakking coincidence! Grab my keys, pelt downstairs, uncover the "Wasp", disarm the alarm, fire her up. She starts first time, and runs. Left it running for 30 minutes, not a hiccup. Shut her down after that, came back 20 minutes later, fired her up again. She works.
I realise that something in the area at work might have somehow affected the immobiliser of the DataTool S4 Red on my bike.
Adding credence to that theory is the fact that as we towed the bike home, the Alarm did NOT scream blue murder all the way. However, when tested at home on Sunday, it gave the neighbours a fright.
Suspicion fell on the mobile network microwave emitters located on the top of the building where I work. Two of them were aimed - angled, in tandem at the spot where my bike was parked, the same location I was riding through months earlier when the engine inexplicably died!! I've taken the R out twice since then, and she's performed flawlessly. My money is on those pesky mobile phone masts. What do y'all think?

the thing i found out was the datatool s4 red is not for our bike you need the green because our bike do not have a immobiliser as standard
they always fit the datatool S4 red to bike with come with immobiliser already

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the speedy replies guys! I believe I have the DataTool S4 Red. Maybe it's actually the green. Actually, no. I was sure its the red. Yup, just checked, it appears to be the DataTool S4-C1 Red Alarm & Immobiliser indeed! Even the key fob is identical. This is fitted to bikes that have neither immobiliser, nor alarm.
The bike had not been tampered with, the alarm side of things seemed to deactivate properly. Flashing lights confirmed that. Battery had a full charge, was kept topped up all winter. It's worked flawlessly everywhere, except two peculiar anomalies within 10 metres of each other. What are the odds? Methinks RF from the the mobile masts was responsible. Alarm was professionally fitted by the Yamaha Dealer before I took delivery of the "Wasp". Have documentation. Perhaps my MX-3 is in cahoots with those mobile phone masts. It hasn't looked very happy since I started riding by bike to work this year! ;-)

Reactions: Fisher

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'd be more inclined to suspect the local RF environment.
Agree, I recovered a subaru imprezza from just outside Donnington Park, a while ago, would not respond to anything, got it few miles up the road, tried it bingo, fired straigtht up. Same guy went back to another race meet there, parked, came back nothing, didn't call me this time, got a tow from a mate, and again it started. Had some fancy alarm on it, all bells and whistles version.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I was going to purchase one of these alarms but that's a frightening thought that you could park up somewhere, come back and have to walk with it till it starts up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Benji :)
Yes, it's indeed both frightening and embarrassing in equal measure when people are looking at you with a very fancy bike that won't start. Some will think that you're too stingy or stupid to have it serviced - some bike haters will actually smirk at you as they waft past in their cars with an air of superiority. I suppose it's one of those fallacies of existing in the 21st century with all this modern technology ;-)

I however DO NOT regret getting the DataTool S4-C1 Alarm /Immobiliser. I'm pretty sure my bike would have been nicked ages ago, but for the fact that I have that device (among my arsenal of anti-theft security protocols).

Welcome to the technological utopia of the 21st century ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts