Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start this thread and possibly get it as a sticky Fisher, we can direct all 2 stroke chat here rather than posting it all over the forum in random people's thread stating '' r125s are shit and slow, my rs will beat it and hit 100mph'' BLAH BLAH BLAH... It always happens and when we get bigger theres going to be loads of crap like that.

SO! Can atleast keep it tidy please boys :)

Starting us off - As there are some older boys here have you guys ever owned a 2 stroke? how was it to ride, what were the things you enjoyed/disliked.

I really want to ride a 2 stroke and get first hand experience :D maybe come summer time I might get a mito or rs to play with for a few weeks!?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I hear they after great fun....
Something about the power band? Or perhaps that was the bad bit about them...

I just know they have more power, weigh less, and smell good :p

Reactions: inkaholic

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I had a geared 2T as my first bike.
I can say that they are all about that powerband, it's both the fun and the downfall.
Some are more extreme than others, but at full throttle on 4000 revs, mine would literally splutter and cough it's way along.
However, as soon as that needle hit 6500, your arms would be torn off and it would go like stink.

2 Strokes are a lot of effort to ride, because if you want the power, you really have to work the gearbox hard. But it was so, so fun. I'd absolutely have another as a weekend or track bike, but the reason I got a 4 stroke is that using one every day, you just need something that's easy to ride.

Also, 2 strokes are high maintenance. Vital that they're properly warmed up, they need an extra oil mix and you have to rebuild the engine fairly often. Smoke was narrsty too (though I nearly bought some strawberry scented oil); and due to the Carbeurettor, they can be quite tempermental to start when there's weather around.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
D: You can buy scented oil????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
my rs50 was a 2 stroke. they are fun but as killa said u have to work hard to get it to move. i use to have to full throttle to pull away! and the when i look in the mirror i see a wave of blue smoke!!
i injoyed my 2 stroke but i prefer 4 stroke. just through the fact that every little noise i use to worry that i thought it was gunna blow up on me!

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Standard for RSes :p
My mate's always ridden them, and he says, quote "Yeah, it's 38hp, and yeah, it'll do 110. For about 20 seconds, then you have to rebuild the damn thing"

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
My mate's always ridden them, and he says, quote "Yeah, it's 38hp, and yeah, it'll do 110. For about 20 seconds, then you have to rebuild the damn thing"
lol exacly!
i would rather a slower 4 stroke and more realiable
then a faster 2 stroke that will blow up down the road!

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
MrAndy979 said:
lol exacly!
i would rather a slower 4 stroke and more realiable
then a faster 2 stroke that will blow up down the road!
Lol

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dont get me wrong I'd prefer my 4 stroke realiable and all that but i would like to try one out :D seems like fun! trying to rag it out and then get rid before it blows hehe

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Wellll, that's because they're using literally twice as much fuel. power stroke every cycle, so you're riding the equivalent of a 250!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your mate is talking out of his arse anyway, nowhere near 38bhp especially for newer models, Read this:

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewt...ostdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rs125+power

Look for posts from "Kickstart". What he doesn't know about RS125's just isn't worth knowing. He's got about 5 of them I think!

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
older models were running full power 33bhp so i guess loads of money time and parts it May see 38?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts